Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Now what do I do?(long post)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamaKate, Aug 9, 2009.

1. mamaKate

mamaKate Songster

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I was at the local sale barn (aka "chicken hell") and I caved. A guy had 2 just feathered BO's that he said were pullets. I rationalized that I really needed more hens for my roo and I had wanted a BO pullet when I got him. Oh dear. Of course they're quarantined. One is much bigger and coarser looking than the other. It's beautifully protective of the small one, not aggressive- just nurturing.I either have a bantam and standard or ANOTHER ROO. Top it off with the fact that he has something wrong with his eye and they must be wormy-they eat compulsively and are still thin. I wormed them with piperazine last night. Still don't know what to do about the eye. Should just cull. Decided to. Still stalling. The little one is beautiful and very delicate looking.

2. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    I can't give you any advice, but this sounds like something I would do. I would wait a little before I culled anything though.

3. Zoopathy

Zoopathy In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    San Diego
    I agree with Cassie. Hang out and wait...see how they do. You've wormed them and have them in quarantine. Give them some time to recover from "chicken hell" and see how they do!

4. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    The "nurturing" one might be an older hen. I would not cull...it's eye can be fixed easily with drops and good care.

They may turn out to be the best of all your chickens. [​IMG]

5. mamaKate

mamaKate Songster

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Quote:What kind of drops?

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Please don't be quick to cull; you've rescued them from "chicken hell"; now give them a chance to thrive. The eye issue can be dealt with. I hope they get the chance to live long, happy, healthy lives. [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wait and see, and stop beating yourself up! They may have been half starved.

8. welovechickens

welovechickens Songster

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I agree with everyone else, wait and see how they do. [​IMG] I am a softie and wouldn't be able to resist trying to get them back up to good health and looks. [​IMG]

9. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    If it looks like an eye infection most farm stores carry terramycin (sp?) eye ointment. Just a tiny bit goes a loooong way. It healed an infected scratch in my pullet's eye in two days.

10. mamaKate

mamaKate Songster

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Thanks so much, guys. I don't feel like such an idiot now. I've sort of had a lot disagreeable comments through the years because this is not the first ( or tenth) time I've done this kind of thing. There's a little no-name dog on my couch -- in spite of the fact that this informal shelter is full-- because I couldn't leave her in the parking lot at Wal-Mart. I guess my biggest worry is that I'll slip up in my contamination prevention and cause harm to my chickens. I'll look for the eye ointment tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: