1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stupid Stupid Stupid!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rocketdog312, Jan 8, 2010.

1. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I killed an embryo, thinking it was a quitter. I always do autopsy's on every egg I throw out and this one had a living, breathing and kicking embryo. I was so stupid! i feel horrible. But one thing intruiged me, black down was forming. and this was a RIR/RIR+leghorn egg. the father was a cross between a leghorn and a RIR and the mother was an RIR. do RIR's have a recessive black feather gene?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Aw! I'm sorry. I've done that before my mistake except mine was only 10 days along. I could see it's little heart beating when I broke open the egg and I felt horrible. As for the black feathering, I'm not sure. Poor baby.

3. rocketdog312

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Quote:mine was 11 days along... [​IMG]

4. mtnkids

mtnkids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    I just did the same thing a week and a half ago. Inexperienced candling, was my fault. I felt so terrible about it seeing it trying to live after I had cracked it open. [​IMG]

5. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    If I THINK there's a chance it's still alive I leave it. I basically might candle at 11 days just to see if there are any red rings of death, but for the most part I leave everything.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  6. rocketdog312

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Quote:I gotta learn to do that... [​IMG]

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Maybe it just looked like black down because it was wet? I've had really dark hatchlings fluff up a lot lighter....

8. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    you learn from your mistakes right

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Awwwwww, [​IMG]
    If I find anything that looks like it quit, I move it to the last tray on the left in the bator and leave it there for a few more days then candle again. Most of the time I'm right, but I've had a few surprise me and continue to develop.

10. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG] I've done that before... [​IMG] the egg was super cold, even in the incubator, i candled and the spot was a huge black blob. I thought it was dead. I killed a duck baby! [​IMG]

[​IMG] Heres a hug for me and you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by