Stupid weasel!!!

Mar 22, 2019
Maine
Hey everyone!! I have owned birds for 4 years and have been able to bring a wounded bird back to health...but this one I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do it. I had a weasel that got into my coop through a door they had a hole in it and I didn't realize it... Killed one of my chickens and attacked two of my ducks one of my ducks I think we'll be okay she's sore and her leg hurts but the other one it has chewed quite a bit of her head the back of it she doesn't have eye injuries but my question is her eyes have got this white film over it and it's almost like she's blind I used to be able to wash it off but now it's like cataracts or something it looks like.... Has anyone ever seen this and what can I do about it... I have her on antibiotics and I have then putting antibiotic ointment on the back of her head and then layering it was Bag Balm, but she is severely injured and my family and I love her and we'd really like to save her... I've been putting tea bags on her eyes... She's not eating and was drinking ,but I can't get her to do it anymore. Anyways back to the eyes what is going on with the eye thing is she going to be blind if she makes it? Please help!! Thanks in advance!! :'(

KIMG0125.jpg
KIMG0130.jpg
KIMG0124.jpg
KIMG0126.jpg
KIMG0127.jpg

i am so sorry!!!! :hugs Pictures of her injuries will help our ER members.
Hoping for a full recovery! :fl

The same thing happened to one of my ducks. You'll need to post pictures if you want accurate treatment for your poor duck. :( as for the eye issue, my duck's eye healed on it's own. try waving a hand in front if her eyes and see if she flinches or reacts. I moved my hand quickly at my duck's face, and if she stepped back or ducked (haha ducked:gig) then I knew she could see.

POST PICTURES PLEASE!!

I just saw the pics now! that looks bad....her/his eyes look like they may have gotten poked causing her to keep her eyes squeezed shut. if it's a bad eye injury it is a possibility that she could be blind.

It is strange her eyes were fine when I first found her then within a hour they became slimy with white nasty snot like substance and now they look like this... Her injury is quite bad I actually can see bones and stuff in there moving around when she drinks I am giving her Pedialyte and oral antibiotic... Even though we can't keep the eggs even after being almost killed she laid an egg both days.. what a trooper. By the way everyone just wanted to let you know that weasel is dead and my husband changed the door.. I wouldn't allow my chickens back in the coop I actually stored them all in my house for safety until the door was fixed.... I hope she comes through she is the sweetest...her sister was also attacked and my husband thinks the weasel bit a nerve in her neck which makes it so she can't use one of her legs.... I'm just glad the weasels dead... Thank you everyone!!

Attachments

• KIMG0131.jpg
    KIMG0131.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 6
  • KIMG0130.jpg
    KIMG0130.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG0129.jpg
    KIMG0129.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 5
It is strange her eyes were fine when I first found her then within a hour they became slimy with white nasty snot like substance and now they look like this... Her injury is quite bad I actually can see bones and stuff in there moving around when she drinks I am giving her Pedialyte and oral antibiotic... Even though we can't keep the eggs even after being almost killed she laid an egg both days.. what a trooper. By the way everyone just wanted to let you know that weasel is dead and my husband changed the door.. I wouldn't allow my chickens back in the coop I actually stored them all in my house for safety until the door was fixed.... I hope she comes through she is the sweetest...her sister was also attacked and my husband thinks the weasel bit a nerve in her neck which makes it so she can't use one of her legs.... I'm just glad the weasels dead... Thank you everyone!!

have you tried testing if she can see?
Yes..but she is constantly shaking her head trying to clean her feathers there's not a moment she's not moving I try to do either side she not cleaning and it doesn't seem to have any effect..... I'm just going to assume she's blind and if not great if so well I guess I'm going to have to help her fine her way around.. she hasn't ate since Tuesday night before weasel attack. Hoping it temporary.....time will tell...she has a huge fight for her life and she has been fight for her life the moment she encountered the weasel...her will is high... I am cleaning the wound twice a day and putting ointment on it where it's such a deep wound where I can see bones.

Back
Top Bottom