1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

styrofoam...a treat or not?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LadyDixieChick, May 19, 2011.

1. LadyDixieChick

LadyDixieChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Rock Hill, SC
    I am new to this raising chickens, but I am in love with em all!! I have some white silkies ( a trio actually) the person who gave them to me said they like to peck and eat on styrofoam. He gives it to them and they LOVE it! actually, all my chickens do....Is this safe though? It just doesnt sound good to me....but they love it and they are healthy and happy....

2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I hope that he was speaking of the packing peanuts that are made from corn starch. Not actual stryrofoam.

3. LadyDixieChick

LadyDixieChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Rock Hill, SC
    I did not know that about the "pnuts' but no. He would give them actual stryrofoam ( he had some from something he bought) I wouldnt think it would be good for them, but he has been doing it for years. ( not a daily thing. just occasionally) but I have seen the chickens in action and they LOVE pecking and eating small pieces of it...

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Styrofoam is not good for them to eat.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Good for them? No Will it kill them? Hasn't killed any of mine yet.

My DH had to quickly add a new pop door on one of my coops last weekend. He didn't have time to finish the trim between the inside wall of the coop and the exterior wall. In other words, he didn't have time to block off the styrofoam insulation. He was going to do it this weekend.

That's okay dear. The girls took care of it for you. [​IMG]

7. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    biodegradable packing peanuts disolve much like a puffy cheeto when gotten wet. We play with them in a preschool enviroment. they will stick together. 100 percent cornstarch. If you must give the chickens styrofoam? I would use these.

8. Campngolf

Campngolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Nor Cal
    The vast majority of packing peanuts are polystyrene (Styrofoam) and would not be good for any animal. I would think even the biodegradable ones would be nothing but empty calories.

9. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I don't know why anyone would want to give their chickens styrofoam. There's no nutritional value. If they are bored or need something to peck at I would get one of those blocks of seeds like for birds. It's not the best nutritionally but at least there is some nutrition.

10. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    My chickens will abandon the range to chase a piece of styrofoam :rolleyes:We keep it up and way out of chickens' reach- it's kind of like kids eating paste/ playdough/ erasers- yeah, they like it, but it doesn't mean they should do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by