styrofoam bators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heathersboers, Dec 10, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I have 3 set up in my house- 4 days to go on one batch- I dont have a way to check the humidity. What is the best way to raise it-besides filling the trays full of water?? The plugs come OUT right??

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    From what i understand about my two Batorsis the plugs come out to lower the humidity and go back in to raise it. Since I live on the Pacific Northwest west coast, I followed my FIL's recommendation of pulling one of my two plugs on each due to our high RH for the area.

I keep the small trough (I have a Hova-Bator i'm using for this batch) filled for now, when lock down comes I will fill the other trough as well.....

The GQF Bator we have here has one trough, so I'm not sure how it will do. It's auto-tuner (i'm lazy) is broken, so it will be the back-up Bator if the Hova-bator fails....

3. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    Quote:Have you candled at all?

I also have a hovabator and I have been trying to get the humidity as close as possible by using electrical tape and covering the different holes. To measure humidity, you really need a hygrometer, I bought a combination temp/hygrometer from Wal Mart for $8.50. The directions say to remove the plugs to reduce the humidity which in turn helps the chicks dry off.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I candled and they all are looking great-except one egg from ebay- rest are great-moving and all!!! Im going to wal-mart tomorrow. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by