styrofoam diet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rabtfarm, Dec 10, 2013.

1. rabtfarm

rabtfarm New Egg

Apr 15, 2010
    Okay the chickens have started in devouring some foam insulating panels...it doesn't appear to have done any harm...but shouldn't the foam source be removed? There are 9 chickens and they have eaten about 2 cupfuls over the last couple of weeks..
    Does anyone know if this can hurt them?

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    They should be OK, but remove the rest, I don't think it's part of their recommended diet. And eating a lot of it can't be good. They don't need it anyway, because they already have perfect insulation of their own.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I think what we think of as regular Styrofoam (polystyrene) is probably pretty harmless, not a good idea to let them eat it since it could cause blockages. But Isocyanates, like what are in some building insulations/foam boards, read as really bad, I wouldn't want the chickens pecking/eating isocyanate foam board.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've had some chickens that have eaten a lot of Styrofoam, and been none the worse for wear that I could tell. It grosses me out, though, and I would prevent them from eating more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by