Subject 14 ( baby male )

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fernandos owner, Jun 13, 2019 at 5:02 AM.

Tags:
  1. Helpful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Duck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Fernandos owner

Fernandos owner Hatching

Thursday
    Suffolk
    Hello there ... i am new to the world of ducks
    We have 2 one year old ducks ... brother and sister Fernando the male and white beek .. we have managed to incubate and hatch 8 duckings (from the brother and sister).. i would like keep the last egg that hatched called subject 14 who is male ... what are the chances of the 3 getting on

drakezilla and Trimurtisan like this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Having two males won't be good once breeding season starts again next year. The males will fight and over breed the Hen. Keep a couple of females.

3. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    Your female to male ratio should be about 3:1 to keep the peace during mating season. Definitely would not keep a male unless you plan on adding more females to your flock.

4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    At least 3:1! My drake is in "drake jail" now because he has his 6 (SIX!) girl's necks tore up! I can't imagine having to deal with more than one drake even with 6 girls. He's like a little machine!

5. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Addicted to your pictures.

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Sadly, I'd agree, more females first.

I'm currently try to give my 2 male Pekin away due to my m:f ratio. They are not mature, nor mating, so everything is okay for now, but it won't stay that way.

6. drakezilla

drakezilla In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2019
    Colorado
    So glad someone else has a ducky jail for there drake. Note I have a pair in my picture my beautiful Chocolate Duck has become one white feather over the last 3 years. From broken follicles. Thus the name DrakeZilla only for 3 month a year. The rest of the year he is a best friend to me and his duck his real name is Mocha standing guard and herding her back to safety when anything looks wrong. He can spot a Hawk from 2 miles away. Hatching eggs right now hope to find him more Girlfriends for our new country home.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  7. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    I've already had to rehome 3 males just in the last month to maintain my male to female ratio. One of those included my beautiful lilac ancona drake. It really sucks having to make the decision to rehome, but it saves so much stress and heartache in the end.

drakezilla, DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. drakezilla

Jun 7, 2019
    Colorado
    We funny people when we first start out with ducks we think of creating a happy couple. Drakes need a happy harem and ducks really want sister wives to share the burden.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  9. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Hi, boy are you right! I see you have runners. Do they do well in your cold weather?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. drakezilla

Jun 7, 2019
    Colorado
    like any other duck there built for it we are still on our old home the new one is being built this summer. Im only allowed 2 ducks. were moving to the country. Colorado is a little different we can get below 0 one day and 60 degrees the next. These 2 weathered great. They live in the Garage at night and go out every day when I get home from work. The first year the show kinda bothered them but this year they loved it. They don't like rain much. Silly Ducks. I'm at work now and the crew is coming in. its been fun!

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: