Submer-duck!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tdd2, Aug 11, 2014.

1. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    So, as I've documented previously, we had been using a Walmart sourced blue plastic kiddie pool:

[​IMG]

And recently we've been upgrading them to a new 300 gallon stock tank we got from TSC.

Well, I wasn't all that sure that our duckies would make much use out of the larger volume of water between the blue kiddie pool we were using, and the stock tank, but wanted something much more durable, and permanent in the yard. . . .

. . . that is, until this morning. Our larger Pekin, who seemed only slightly interested in the kiddie pool before, has picked a new hobby - Submer-duck!!!

[​IMG]

I would never have though Squirt could get his large, fluffy body under water - let alone do laps!!!

This bit of swimming alone justified the work on the new pond!!

Cheers'

Dan

2. Cindysid

Cindysid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Sweet! I'm wanting one of these for my ducks but I was just wondering how often you have to change the water. Hubby is already griping about our water bill even tho I use the water for my plants. Also, how are you cleaning/changing the water?

3. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    Cindysid - if you read through the link above in my post, ("upgrading to 300 gallon tank"), you'll see that we will, in the next week or so have a completed bio-filter (skippy-filter) system for the duck pond. We already use a similar bio-filter set-up for our koi pond, and it works incredibly well.

The filter for the duck pond will be taxed more heavily than that of the koi pond, but I figure it will still work effectively, and we "should'nt" ;) have to change the water at all, just add water as needed for evaporation and plant usage loss.

Cheers'

Dan

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Wow, what a gorgeous yard you have! My own duck is nowhere near being able to submerge, but oh lord, she tries. It's hilarious. XD

5. AllisonB

AllisonB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Northeast U.S.A
    Some lucky ducks you have! Beautiful place for those "deep swims" :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by