submissive roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7&8, Dec 21, 2010.

1. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Change of pace on roo behavior: submissive roos - [​IMG]

The old boy:

[​IMG]

Sassafras is a 30 wk. old Salmon Favarolle, and the past few days, he has begun squatting for me. [​IMG]

He's definitely (NOT - based on following sage comments, which if you're new to chicken keeping, you might want to read!) a roo, with spurs to prove it. He has yet to crow, though talks a low, raspy blue streak in certain (challenging to him) situations, like when one of his hens hops up on my shoulder, or I'm in the coop & he comes in to supervise. I've yet to see him, from afar or otherwise, mount a hen, though they're all squatting fools. [​IMG]

He's a real cream puff kinda' guy.

Anyone else have casper milktoast roos? And if so, what breed is yours?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. ther00ster'scr0w

ther00ster'scr0w Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bay Area CA
    He's cute!

Sounds like a roo, but he doesn't seem to have the comb for 30 weeks, but I don't know the breed.

3. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Are you sure SURE he's a roo?

From your pic I don't see saddle feathers or hackles... and the comb is quite small... Um.

[​IMG]

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Ditto. Are you sure that's a roo? [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ain't no rooster! Aside from no secondary sexual characteristics of a male, that is hen coloration. Faverolle roosters are darker colored. Remember, "Singing girls and crowing hens, all will come to no good ends."[​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Looks like a hen to me. BTW......hens can get spurs too. It's not just a male thing.

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ditto........Pop

8. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    thats a hen.

9. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    @!*$%#! Oh, for Pete's/Petunia's sake! [​IMG]

@!*$%#! Dudes, I'm totally ashamed...[​IMG]

@!*$%#! For 30 wks. I've been treating Sassafras - now "Sassafras Jane," apparently, as if s/he was a roo. Ya, know, doing my best not to mess with his hens too much; editing greetings to the girls to include "him"; patiently waiting for saddle & tail feathering to appear.

Oh, for Pete's/Petunia's sake!

Oh, for the love of a five toed chicken!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  10. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    HAHA! CONGRATS ON THE ROO/HEN. She is a cutie no matter what. Sassafras Jane!

On the other hand I have had a hen with a full spur.hen I got her I quaranteed her for a couple of weeks,then introed her to the flock.She took charge instantly with dat spur.

Then for some time we didnt have a dominant roo,so one of our hens was making a loud "Squark" in the morning to emulate a roo.Funny stuff.We have had some of our hens talking in a low-barry white-ish type of tone,but I guess that was natural.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by