Submissive rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amos58, Jan 3, 2009.

1. amos58

amos58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    I don't know if this is the correct forum, but today I noticed my very friendly silkie rooster and my silkie hen fighting. They would both hold on to each others feathers around the face and actually the rooster was bleeding a bit from his comb. I couldn't separate them, because they would go back to each other. And the last time I looked in the coop the rooster was on his back with the hen looking over him.
    I do know that she is a hen, she has laid eggs and he crows they are both about 9 months old and raised together with the other silkies in there I have 1 cochin hen, 4 silkie hens 1 silkie rooster.
    Any ideas on what is going on?
    Thank you
    Diane

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    It's a dominance battle. Left alone, they will sort it out by themselves. It's hard to watch your pets fight like this, but if left alone, they will establish a pecking order and get along just fine for a long time. It is unusual to see a hen fighting a rooster though.

3. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    ok so its good to know that I am not the only one having this particular issue... at least I think that this is my issue I am about to make another thread on my problem so you can tell me if it is the same thing

4. amos58

amos58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Thank you Jim,
    I hope you are right. It is very difficult to watch, I eventually had to walk away, after having picked them up, of course. These birds are so friendly and sweet. I just can't understand why this is starting to happen, unless he wants to start mating, which I haven't seen him do yet..
    Thank you

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    While chickens must sort out their pecking order, there is no reason to tolerate excessive violence in the pen ~ especially if it is resulting in escalating injuries, or even death. I would keep an eye on this situation, and if injuries continue I personally would separate them to avoid stepping over the line into a cannibalistic situation among your birds.

Good luck!

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, it's rather uncommon to see a hen and rooster sort it out, that way, at least, but we have a mix of banties and standard sized fowl and they do it every once in a while. I have a d'Uccle who shys away from my Polish hen. It's very amusing to watch them fight, too. The girls put up a good fight, and in our flock, often win. Our banty roos are all hen-pecked by someone.

7. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I just watched my dainty white araucana pullet kick butt big time yesterday when a much larger cockerel grabbed her to try and mate her. She was having none of that. What a spit fire! I have to keep him in a dog crate most of the day because he is too rambunctious with the ladies.

I seperated him from the angry pullet and put him back in his now safe place. She stalked back and forth growling and trying to get at him for a very long time. I am betting she will make a good biddy in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by