Substitute Diet and drink to commercial feed for day old chicks

asad1129

Chirping
Dec 27, 2020
Hi All,
So i am super excited as this is my first time that 🥚 have started 🐣 , 2 chicks out so far from the 8 eggs. The mother hen has them under her wings
Now my question is I don't have access to commercial feed as such , how do i manage to substitute that for the chicks ,i read somewhere that they don't need to be fed for another 24 to 48 hrs;

My questions:
1. What can be included in the newly hatched chicken diet as a substitute to commercial feed?
2. Is the mother hen good enough for maintaining that temperature (its 19 to 20 C at night)
3. Any meds etc that need to fed to the chicks?
4. They are in a basket 🧺 along with other eggs, once all 🐣 is done should i tilt the basket or are they agile enough to jump out?
4. Any care or pointers i need to bear in mind to ensure they grow up fine?

What feed is available to you (what do you feed your adults?) Since you don't have commercial feeds then likely whatever the adults are eating would be appropriate for chicks as well, as long as there's tiny rocks around in the environment to serve as grit to help the babies digest the food.

A mama hen doing her job is all the heat source the chicks will need.

How big is the basket? If the sides are high, using a few bricks to make steps in and out might help the chicks get in and out, or if it is stable tipped on its side, you can do that as well.

What feed is available to you (what do you feed your adults?) Since you don't have commercial feeds then likely whatever the adults are eating would be appropriate for chicks as well, as long as there's tiny rocks around in the environment to serve as grit to help the babies digest the food.

A mama hen doing her job is all the heat source the chicks will need.

How big is the basket? If the sides are high, using a few bricks to make steps in and out might help the chicks get in and out, or if it is stable tipped on its side, you can do that as well.
I feed the adults with grain wheat, millets, kitchen waste, and occasionally wheat leaves, millet leaves, fruits etc

Grit is there yes

The inside of basket is kinda cooped up since the hen also broods inside the 🧺 no place for bricks to place inside, tilting seems off because still 6 more eggs to go , so is it ok if chicks are left inside for a day or two? Is the energy from yolks they had enough for them to go on... One was born yesterday evening and the other one some where around late night or early morning.

I'd stick with what you're feeding the adults then, as that's what's available for you and the hen will show her babies what she eats so they learn that's what they'll eat too.

They should be fine inside the basket for a day or two as long as the hen stays in with them, to keep them warm when needed. Chicks can survive up to 3 days without eating or drinking however their instinct will be to start feeding and drinking if they can.

Here is a pic for reference below;

IMG-20211016-WA0019.jpeg

Probably too late to try it now (since it's best to not disturb the hen too much especially since more eggs are likely hatching) but I would want to cut open one side of the basket so chicks and mama could walk in and out if needed.

Maybe something to try in the future.

Probably too late to try it now (since it's best to not disturb the hen too much especially since more eggs are likely hatching) but I would want to cut open one side of the basket so chicks and mama could walk in and out if needed.

Yes a great idea, as i said first time so learning the ropes

Yayyy :weeAll of them made out of the 🧺 themselves

Back
Top Bottom