Substitute for grit for baby chicks...?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Des R, May 23, 2016.

1. Des R

Des R Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    Maryland / Delaware
    I have 3 week old chicks that I'd like to give occasional treats to and I know I need chick grit. My local feed store is out, so here are my choices... regular grit (which I believe will be too large), bird gravel (local petshop I called suggested that product) or just sand?

Which is the best choice? I realize they don't NEED anything but their starter feed, but I'd like to give a few treats to help me bond with the chicks...

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    IF your yard has not been treated with any insecticides/herbicides, the absolute best thing you can do for them would be to dig a clump of sod, and toss it in the brooder, grass, roots and all. Your chicks will get: grit, minerals, insects and seeds, greens, first dust bath, bacteria and fungi to help jump start a healthy digestive system. The ideal time to start them on sod is within the first 2 weeks when their built in immune system is at it's strongest. But sooner, better than later! Enjoy the party that they'll have with it!!!

Take a trowel out into your driveway and scoop up some gravel. They'll pick and choose for the correct size of grit for their needs.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    volley ball areas in parks or playground areas should have what you need

or check the free stuff section of craiglist.. they often have free dirt, sand, gravels available

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by