Substitute pine shavings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Steve, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

My local TSC is out of pine shavings....have been for about a week.

I thought I could hold out until they got more in, but I called a while ago and they still don't have any, and now I need something.

My question is, since I build cabinets and furniture I have an abundance of Ash planer shavings out in the shop from a current kitchen I'm building....can I use Ash shavings as a substitute until i can get pine from TSC?

Thanks in advance.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'd be worried about whatever the cabinets where treated with. Do you know that wood hasn't been treated? Just don't use cedar... it is poisonous to chickens.

3. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Steve, WalMart has pine shavings - my TSC has been out of pine shavings for some time and I had to go to WalMart.

4. Steve

Quote:No these are not existing cabinets...this is wood I cut and dried myself, basically the raw product before I make anything out of it.

No treatment, varnishes, stains etc.

5. Steve

Quote:Okay...I have a Wal-Mart....right next door to TSC.

Thanks, I'll check.

6. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    On the Ash shavings, I don't know but a friend of ours is a cabinet maker and we use all his shavings - I do know he doesn't use cedar.

7. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I am nearly out of shavings... and worse money.I need to clean out my coop because it got wet inside .I was thinking of using newspaper for a few days-and find and caulk that leak!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by