Substitutes for seedling heat mats

AnnPann

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Kansas
Looking for ideas on what I can use for a seedling heat mat this winter when starting my own plants indoors (in a relatively cool room - low 60s). I have one chick brooder plate that I can use, but I start a ton of seeds, so need larger and something cheaper than having to buy multiple heat mats.

Thought about using a heat/electric blanket, as size-wise would be perfect. Anyone ever try that? Too much heat?

Have also seen a hack with using incandescent rope lights, but not sure if that’s just one of those clickbait Pinterest ideas that looks cool, but really doesn’t work. And I don’t have any rope lights on hand - would have to buy them.

electric blankets/ heat pads for humans may be too hot. I know they can be adjustable, but maybe not low enough. Also, many have auto shut off, so that would need to be addressed - probably by having a habit off turning them off, then on again to reset the timer, on an interval that works with your schedule. You could address the "too hot" aspect by using pavers or similar on top so the heat radiates through the blocks, rather than the starts being right on top, but would need to protect the surface the heat mat would be on top of.

A common heating solution for waterers, and could be useful here, is using incandescent lights within some cinder blocks or a basic block structure. The light puts off heat, and heats up the blocks and this heat radiates through.

i like your idea of reducing the temperature by putting a barrier between the heat blanket and trays. seed trays will be on a plastic folding table or wire shelf, so i dont worry much about scratches from bricks or pavers. i may give this a trial this week and see if it works!

Heating pad will get too hot if left unchecked. I have used a heating pad on low with an Inkbird temp controller and it works ok but it still heats up quickly and can cause the desired temp to overshoot. Also don't want to get the heating pad wet and most are "auto shut off" which mine still worked if the temp controller turns off the pad before it shuts itself off.

Looking for ideas on what I can use for a seedling heat mat this winter when starting my own plants indoors (in a relatively cool room - low 60s). I have one chick brooder plate that I can use, but I start a ton of seeds, so need larger and something cheaper than having to buy multiple heat mats.
Depending on how many seeds you are trying to start, warming the entire room might be easiest, using a space heater or something of the sort. Anything like a heat lamp, that puts out too much heat to use directly on the seeds, could also be used to raise the temperature of the entire room.

Or maybe put them somewhere warmer until they sprout, then move them into the room with cooler temperatures. You could end up with seeds sitting on the refrigerator, the hot water heater, and many other things throughout the house. I've used the top of a hanging fluorescent light fixture, and the top of an incubator full of chicken eggs, for small numbers of seeds.

Of course when you get creative with heat sources, you need to be extra careful that you don't overheat the seeds or start a fire, or spill the seeds by mistake.

Depending on how many seeds you are trying to start, warming the entire room might be easiest, using a space heater or something of the sort. Anything like a heat lamp, that puts out too much heat to use directly on the seeds, could also be used to raise the temperature of the entire room.

Or maybe put them somewhere warmer until they sprout, then move them into the room with cooler temperatures. You could end up with seeds sitting on the refrigerator, the hot water heater, and many other things throughout the house. I've used the top of a hanging fluorescent light fixture, and the top of an incubator full of chicken eggs, for small numbers of seeds.

Of course when you get creative with heat sources, you need to be extra careful that you don't overheat the seeds or start a fire, or spill the seeds by mistake.
I used a heater one year, the room was a toasty 70 degrees, our electric bill was 80 dollars higher that month 😅 it basically doubled.

I used a heater one year, the room was a toasty 70 degrees, our electric bill was 80 dollars higher that month 😅 it basically doubled.
that's what im afraid of. we keep our thermostat at 64 during the winter, so the colder rooms hover around 60 most of the winter. and we don't get a ton of winter sun, so i don't have a warm sunny window to utilize.

Back
Top Bottom