Substrate to use in duck pen!

Lover duck duck

Songster
5 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Hello,
I am building a duck pen for 10 ducks. It will be 30’ x 30’. I live in Orlando, FL and the area I am making the duck pen is all sand but it also has crushed fine shells. I believe the previous owner added that for good drainage and it works really well because after some downpours it stays really dry. My question is will it be good for duck feet. They are not sharp or anything like that. But I was thinking if it is okay should I buy more and use as a substrate or should I use something better on top of the sand so it stays dry around the pen towards their duck coop? Please help! Thanks.

I think your ground is fine as is. If this is your first venture in keeping ducks, you will quickly learn that 10 ducks create very much Duck, Gum Drops. Many peeps choose DLM for their runs. Do not expect things to look pristine unless you hire a farm hand full time to maintain the area.
Your biggest concern, especially in your location, with possible snakes, is predator proofing. Raccoons, well most everyone has those. Take all these things into consideration.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

I think your ground is fine as is. If this is your first venture in keeping ducks, you will quickly learn that 10 ducks create very much Duck, Gum Drops. Many peeps choose DLM for their runs. Do not expect things to look pristine unless you hire a farm hand full time to maintain the area.
Your biggest concern, especially in your location, with possible snakes, is predator proofing. Raccoons, well most everyone has those. Take all these things into consideration.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,, and :welcome
Yes it will be predator proof. My dad had ducks for us growing up and I always loved them, now I am finally getting my own

Back
Top Bottom