Subtle Differences? How can I tell? I think I goofed!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4H kids and mom, May 22, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Ok, rewind about 2 or 3 weeks. Remember all the extra chicks? Well, the last batch had both California White pullets and Cornish Rock crosses in the same box with the other chicks. For the most part I thought I got it right....

Now today I was out there cutting the hole in the brooder (on the pullet side, not the Cornish side) so they can explore the coop a little and retreat back to safety if they need to. And I'm looking at the pullets who are wondering what I'm doing, and there standing in the middle of the bunch is a white chiken with a HUGE comb. [​IMG]

It is the same size as the other pullets (but would be anyway since its been eating only the chick starter, right?), has about the same feathering (though it is a little more sparce on the backside) but has this gigantic comb that NONE of the other pullets have. Its comb is about the same size as the Cornish in the brooder next to it.

I know that hatchery sexing is not 100%....So....how do I tell if its really a California White Roo, or a 'slightly-underfed' Cornish Rock? It simply can not be a Cali pullet compared to the other 8 its with. BUT...then here's where it gets sticky. The hatchery says they shipped 10 California White pullets and we lost one on Day 2...so I should have NINE left. I have EIGHT if this one is a Cornish, but then that would mean that somewhere in the Cornish pen there's a Cali White! If this one is a Cali White ROO, then the hatchery goofed the sexing, but that would account my 9. Hmmm.....

Oi! I'm sooo confused!

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would bet on a mistake in the sexing.

3. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    After a closer examination, I noticed that this chick was bare in some spots just like the other Cornish. So, with that and the huge comb, I guessed its actaully a Cornish that I've been feeding chick feed to for 3 weeks! Oi! So, I've put him in with the other Cornish for now to see what comes of it. Might just be a 'runt'...or take a few extra weeks

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

4H Mom- Did you see my post in Social? I NEED a picture of ChickenDuck!!! [​IMG] Get posting!

5. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Geez! Alright already! My goodness! lol I think you need to start a ChickenDuck annonymous or something! lol [​IMG] I posted a bundle a pics for ya there. Hope it'll tide you over till I can get some better ones tomorrow. I really need to get some anyway, cuz this week his "Big Boy" colors have really started to come in! [​IMG] Such a handsome boy! Now, if he'd just let the ladies alone.... [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My egg layers and meat birds eat the same chick starter... If they are only three weeks old, and that guy has a comb, are you sure it's not a cali white roo? Check it's leg joints, if it a cali white roo, it will have thin legs, a narrow stance, and small leg joints compared to the cornish.

This is a leghorn roo at about 3 weeks old, should look like your cali whites at the same age.
    http://students.washington.edu/dianage/chicken/keeper.JPG

Last edited: May 23, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by