Suburban farmers in Nor Cal.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by emptynesters, Oct 15, 2014.

1. emptynesters

emptynesters New Egg

Oct 9, 2014
    New to Backyard Chickens.
    I am in the process of building a Coop and nest using recycled plywood and other materials.
    We just picked up our first chicks from Brentwood feed.
    2 Black Sex Link and 2 Plymouth Barred Rock.
    Next week we get 2 Austrolops (not spelled right I'm sure) and 2 Buff Orpingtons.

What is a good treat for the peeps?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck with your flock!

First before you give your chickens treats you need to know what they can and can't eat. Here is a list on that.

Foods that Chickens Love!

Berries

Greens Don’t give out iceberg lettuce, which is really just green-tinged, unhealthy water and don’t overdo spinach which can result in poor egg quality if fed to often.

Eggs and Eggshells-Remember to rinse and crush the shells and cook the eggs before feeding. Scrambled and boiled eggs are also a wonderful snack for chicks and molting chickens.

Fruits The fruits you give them can be damaged but never moldy.

Garlic-Garlic is very healthy for chickens and acts a natural wormer, laying stimulant, feather re-grower and boosts the circulatory system. It’s also helpful to put in the water or food when a chicken is sick.

Herbs Basil, thyme, comfrey, parsley, bay leaves, lavender, calendula, spearmint, lemongrass, catnip, sage, oregano, yarrow, chickweed, marjoram, cilantro, peppermint, clover, dandelions, dill, bee balm, echinacea, fennel, mint, feverfew, garlic, ginger, lemon balm, marigold, nasturtium, nettles, pineapple sage, rosemary, wormwood and cinnamon.

Dairy

Meat Scraps Don't feed them spoiled meat, as it’s poisonous.

Vegetable

Pumpkins and Squash

Spaghetti, Pasta, Bread and Rice

Bread, Cake, Cookies, Cereal, etc Scrape off the frosting on cake and cookies.

Garden or Yard Weeds Avoid feeding them yew, mushrooms or fungi.

Foods to Never Feed Your Chickens:

Alcohol

Moldy Foods

Anything Salty

Asparagus-This will change the flavor of a hen’s egg to a bad taste but it otherwise is not harmful.

Avocado-Avocado has a fatty acid in it called “persin” which sadly can be fatal to chickens and sometimes other birds.

Green Areas of Potatoes, Peels and Potato Sprouts-All are poisonous to chickens and you personally shouldn’t eat them either!

Herbs and Plants to Stay Away from-Azalea, philodendron, rhododendron, sweet pea, black nightshade, foxglove, oleander, castor bean, vetch, henbane, irises, lantana, St. john's wort, trumpets vine, morning glory, datura, clematis and honeysuckle. If any of the herbs you are wondering about are not listed in this book, look them up before giving to your flock.

Leaves from Tomato, Pepper, Potato, Eggplant or Nightshade Plants

Onions-Onions contain a substance called “thiosulphate” which will kill red blood cells, cause anemia and sometimes even result in death.

Potatoes-Surprisingly, potatoes contain solanine which causes diarrhea, heart failure and kills red blood cells. However, sweet potatoes do notcontain this substance and are perfectly fine and dandy to feed to your flock. Sweet potato fries are also fine as long as they aren’t salted.

Processed Foods and Sweets

Raw, Dry Beans

Raw Peanuts and Other Nuts

Rhubarb leaves-Rhubarb leaves surprisingly contain oxalic acid which is poisonous to chickens.

Chickens also love things such as mealworms, oatmeal, wet layer feed and eggs.

Glad you joined us!

3 people like this.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had all for of those breeds (BSLs are not actually breeds, but hybrids) and your getting some great breeds. Black Sex Links are my favorites. I've raised them for years and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. You're going to get loads of eggs from those two girls. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed and lay almost as well as my BSLs. Occasionally one of my BAs has given me over 300 eggs in a year. In addition, BAs are extremely hardy in both heat and cold, and very calm and gentle birds (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours). My Buff Orpingtons can't match the lay rate of the BSLs and BAs (neither could my Barred Rocks), but my Orpingtons are every bit as calm and gentle as my BAs (perhaps even a little friendlier) and they are the most beautiful birds in my flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Speaking from experience, I think you will be very happy with all four of those breeds. Good luck with your flock.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you picked some nice breeds! Black Australorps are a wonderful breed to keep. I just love this breed. Very docile, friendly and great on the laying. My girls are all huge on lap sitting! Can't sit anywhere without an Aussie on my lap!

Make yourself at home and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

5. emptynesters

emptynesters New Egg

Oct 9, 2014
    Thank you
    That is so helpful.
    I'm sure they will enjoy the change from regular food.
    Take care

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  7. emptynesters

emptynesters New Egg

Oct 9, 2014
    Thank you.
    I did alot of research.
    We live in a suburban area and the neighbors are just close enough where I want to have chickens that were docile and relatively quite.
    Excited to have them as pets.
    Take care

8. emptynesters

emptynesters New Egg

Oct 9, 2014
    Thanks
    just joined
    take care

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Please take it easy with treats. They will accept them so readily, that they will turn up their nose at their necessary nutritional feed - like kids with candy, if given too many, too often.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

Mountain Peeps has given you some great advice!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! We'll be happy to help.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by