Suburban Geese(should I get some?)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by scriptkiddie, Jan 29, 2013.

1. scriptkiddie

scriptkiddie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2012
    Missouri
    I'm still fairly new to backyard flocks. We've had chickens for a while now and now a friend wants to give us two chinese geese. I like the idea, but I would like to know what I'm going to be getting into. I've talked with him about land requierments, diet, water for swimming/drinking, and other needs. What I really want to know is, have others tried it and what was your experience?

2. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    One thing that you might want to consider is that they tend to get loud when they get excited. My parents live in a rural-suburbany area, I dont believe the noise bothers our neighbors much.

(They dont make much noise at night)

1 person likes this.
  3. scriptkiddie

Jul 12, 2012
    Missouri
    That's great to know. I didn't think of that. I need to look into what in or around my yard would get them excited. My neighbors have commented about my chickens, that they love the occasional rooster crow when he gathers the hens for the night (We sound proofed our coop so they don't hear him in the morning) as well as the hens doing thier "egg song". I wonder how loud they get.

4. Going Bhonkers

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    I haven't recorded a video of them when they get excited... its usually when they see me coming to let them out of the coop in the mornings, or when my mom/ dad go outside (its kind of like a greeting, I would think. Doesnt last that long, but it is loud) or when they see strangers (neighbors taking their garbage bins to the curb or getting their mail - this is more like an alert)

5. scriptkiddie

Jul 12, 2012
    Missouri
    nice... Thank you. That is good information.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    you also need to be aware that 90% of their diet is grazing on grass, so if you are on a small suburban lot they can quickly run out of green space. They should not be kept in an enclosure since again they will turn it into a mud pit in no time. They will want a kiddie pool or cement mixing pan for bathing. They should have their own house that is predator proof as well. Geese are not flock guardians either like many think they are. Be ready to provide a safe (they like to chew and WILL chew heater cords) heated drinking source in the winter as well as greens for them as part of their daily diet when it is cold and all the grass is dead.

7. Going Bhonkers

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Here is a video of them making normal chatter...

(they had just heard a parrot's screech, which you can hear around 7 secs in, and it seemed to get their attention for a little bit. The parrot's squawk leads me to believe neighbors dont mind our geese because they dont sound off as often as the parrot does)

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I love your videos ,and also the way you have it set up so we can log into our goose thread thank you.

9. scriptkiddie

Jul 12, 2012
    Missouri
    WOW!!! The way I was reading on-line, they are LOUD and NEVER quiet down. Going Bhonkers, your video gives me some encouragement. I was debating between geese and turkeys. There are good and bad for each, but the geese are free for me. I know they are different animals (no pun intended) than the chickens but I think they might be a good addition to my yard.

10. Going Bhonkers

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Thanks Miss Lydia!

And Scriptkiddie, they aren't loud all the time, like when they graze or when they're napping [​IMG] but keep in mind that they have some loud honk capability. Here are some links that have videos of chinese (some african too), but if you're only getting 2 it shouldnt be that loud...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/533413/the-african-and-chinese-goose-thread/90#post_9115913

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/533413/the-african-and-chinese-goose-thread/80#post_9091894

You've also received some good tips from CelticOaks. Make sure you've got a suitable shelter/ coop for them set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by