Suburban geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by dbolak, Jan 30, 2012.

1. dbolak

dbolak Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    North of Dallas, TX
    I have looked at a number of pages regarding Sebastopol geese. Can anyone tell me if the are very noisy? I have one duck that is always noisy when she sees me at the door or when I come home from work. I wish she were more quiet. I don't want to get another bird that will make my neighbors upset. So far we have been OK and I would like to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

2. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Geese are much noiser than ducks. They are a different noisy - hen ducks tend to chatter a bit on and off, but even the quietest geese will start up hollering contests. They are not animals for a neighborhood with cranky neighbors, imo.

3. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    I agree w/hossfeathers. I just got a pair of Sebastopols a couple of weeks ago. They are fairly "quiet", meaning they don't honk all day and night long, but when they do decide to let loose, everybody will know it! It is definitely louder than the 5 runner ducks. I am glad we don't have close neighbors. There is a large pond in the woods between our houses that is home to many geese throughout the spring, summer, and fall. The neighbors thought there were some geese on the lake this time of year.... Then they saw the big fluffy white things in my backyard!! I'm not sure I'd want to live in a neighborhood with a pair of geese.

4. dbolak

dbolak Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    North of Dallas, TX
    Thanks. I was afraid that might be the case. While I like my birds many others won't. My duck never chatters she quacks loudly. She is quiet now because she was injured and is in the "hospital tub". Guess I will wait to have Geese until we move.

Thanks for answering.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've just moved two Blue ganders to a pen that is about 50 ft from my son's bedroom. On a side with a solid wall, no window.

He's complained that they wake him up and my two ganders are actually rather quiet for geese. So, perhaps not the best choice for a small yard with finicky neighbors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by