Suburban predator alert

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by moon.mom, May 7, 2009.

1. moon.mom

moon.mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I had two boxes of hatching eggs stolen from my porch in less than an hour yesterday. Cash value $80, but they were from show-quality Brabanters, Blue Orps, and Blue Ameraucanas, and not that easy to replace. I am just sick about it -- first time we've ever had a package stolen in 7 years here.

Sorry, just had to rant.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats awful. Who would go up to someones porch and steal their hatching eggs? I'd be furious also. You spent good money on them. Some people are just disqusting, to do something like that. Are you aware of anyone else near by that is hatching eggs? Its just a guess, but I'd look into it, you never know. Sorry for your loss of the eggs. That just stinks. [​IMG]

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    oh my goodness! how ridiculous!!!! im sorry to hear this. I suppose you should keep a watchful eye out for ads on craigslist selling babies in a month.... jerks!

4. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    More than likely, they didn't know it was eggs. They just saw a package that they could steal...hoping to get something of value.

To them, these eggs will have little value... but to you HUGE value. That is just so horrible. I am always afraid someone will steal our packages.

I am so sorry.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Do the boxes clearly say they have eggs inside?

Maybe some creeps driving around just looking for packages not stopping to see what's inside before they take them.

Mail theft has been a huge problem in WA by identity thieves.

When I moved to my rural 4 acres, I opened a PO Box close to work for packages, bank and credit card statements.

Best of luck getting replacements and successful hatch.

6. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    What is the world coming to? Back in my day [​IMG] , lol, you could have packages delivered and leave your house and car unlocked.

What bothers me is that if they just stole the package, and then found the eggs, that they just threw them away.

[​IMG]

Cheri

7. moon.mom

moon.mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I'm sure that is what happened, someone just stole the packages and when they discovered what was inside, threw them away. The odds are miniscule that some random thief would have an incubator or broody hen waiting at home. My husband said that there were some guys ("Gypsies") going door to door the other day asking people if they wanted to sell a car. Likely they were just casing to see who was home during the day. I just went to pick up my daughter from school, was only gone 30 minutes.

My mail carrier was so upset today when I told her that she started tearing up. Me too!

8. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I know up in NY where I used to live until 6 months ago, packages were being stolen all the time. The local post offices were no longer allowed to leave packages on porches. All packages had to be picked up at the post office.

The post office said it was a trend because of the economy, they believed.

I'm so sorry that your eggs were stolen. By any chance, were they insured??

Laurie

9. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    low life scum..just common low life scum,hide under a rock waiting to grab something that belongs to someone else and run with it,I say tie the crooks that are caught committing a crime to a public whipping post and take their hide off with a bullwhip,, [​IMG]

10. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Maybe concider having all packages left at the PO and do a pick up. that way deliveries will not be stolen.

Here all packages that come by usps have to be picked up.
    might save you some heart ache to ask our delivery person to leave them there and leave a pink slip.

gotta remember to proof read before posting

Last edited: May 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by