Suburban Yard - Prioritizing Projects

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SouthernAlberta, Apr 13, 2012.

1. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    Hubby wants me to hold of on plans for a coop and hens. He says we need to build a run for the dogs first to protect the yard from their digging and messing. I also want to setup two composters and a couple of raised veggie gardens. What project would you start with first? Second?

2. PDXcluck

PDXcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    We have an urban yard (about 6100 sq ft) and started with raised garden beds, then a dog kennel. Then we cut down one side of our hedge and opened up about 500 sq ft of yard that was buried under the thing. Then we cut down another side of our hedge and got another 200 sq ft, after doing that it seemed like our garden beds were in the middle of the yard (since so much opened up without the hedgerow) so now we want to move one bed to where the hedge used to be. But first we have to finish the chicken coop! Did I mention we got rid of the dog kennel? Our lab quit chewing stuff up so stays inside while we're at work. We are also going to cut down that last section of hedge probably this summer and replace the whole thing with a cedar fence as it takes up so much less room.

The point is, in my opinion it doesn't matter what you start with as long as EVERYTHING is planned out in advance. You don't want to put up the dog run and then say "OH NO, that was the best place for the vegetable garden!". So figure out exactly what you think you want to do now (including removal of trees, etc.etc. cause that will change your layout), and then decide where the best place for everything is...best light for garden, good drainage and some shade for the chickens, a dog run that won't get too muddy, or whatever your priorities are.

Once all that is done, then start building. :)

In hindsight, we definitely should have replaced our whole hedge with a fence prior to starting the gardening and chickens. Because it is really hard to envision just how much space is opened up once the hedge is removed and now we are finding ourselves wanting to move the garden beds etc...

my 2 cents.

good luck!

3. CluckyDreams

CluckyDreams Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    We did the dog run first, so the dogs wouldn't destroy the yard. Then the veggies. We don't have chickens, yet, but that is in the works.

4. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    Clucky, you agreeing with Hubby is not helping me get chickens anytime soon. [​IMG]

PDX, a plan is very important, especially when space is limited. I'm good at ideas, but not at putting designs on paper or into practice. No doubt if I leave some chicken scratches laying around -- pun intended -- Hubby will take the hint... and take over. [​IMG]

5. PDXcluck

PDXcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I should also have been clear about the dog issue. If they are going to be out there, contain them first, DO NOT compromise on this one. They will completely erase your hard work.

Right after we moved into our house I tilled our entire back yard, rolled it, and seeded it. We kept the dog off but in the spring, when the grass was really starting to get a good hold, my wife felt bad for the dog and let him out there. The yard was destroyed in about 10 minutes. Every spring it tries to come back, I preach and preach about keeping the dog in, and she lets him out. :)

I agree with clucky, contain the dogs first!

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Dogs first, they may be a pain with the chickens, and will definitely dig around in the gardens.

From there, depends on spare time for the other projects... garden needs in by May or so. With enough time, buy chicks first, do the garden, build the coop, add older chicks.

We did ours out of whack... chickens first, then coop, then dog areas, and the garden still isn't in besides some tomatoes last year. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by