Suburbanite Gone Farmer!!! Well....Almost...but I DID IT!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickens4jojo, Jan 10, 2009.

1. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Thank you so much all you Backyard Chickeners!!! Thank you especially Purple Chicken and Frugal with their Wonderful Tutorials that finally gave me "The Courage." I was FINALLY able to process two roosters this morning, start to finish!

Ok Maybe I am not a real farmer yet as it WAS only two Roosters so far....but I think it is a start!

I know I sound hyper``that's because I am. My heart is going a thousand miles a minute just thinking that I could actually do the whole thing all by myself~~with so much help from you all, of COURSE!!! [​IMG]

The "deed" was the hardest for me as I had tried before and "chickened out." BUt this time I hung up the rooster on the clothes line, held its neck out and didn't look at its eyes~~ [​IMG]

Then I found the place Frugal's tutorial showed me to place the knife, held the roo's neck tightly, made sure my fingers were out of the way & closed my eyes!! It was over very quickly.

O did I forget to say that I RAN far away from it???? BUT I did not scream! And it worked! The rest was not hard for me at all following the tutorial's instructions though it was a bit smelly. [​IMG]

I have to run now, but will be back later tonight, I believe, but thank you ALL again for all the truly invaluable information and encouragement you share here that a "chicken person" & a Farmer-Wanna-Be could get nowhere else. You are the BEST! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    where did you find this tutorial at?..thanks and congrats!..[​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ok Maybe I am not a real farmer yet as it WAS only two Roosters so far....but I think it is a start!

It counts (and bonus points for not screaming! [​IMG] [​IMG] )​

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    You deserve a pat on the back and enjoy the feast. Come back and tell us what you made. I too was a little hesitant with my first, I did 3 in my first batch, but it was a little easier for me having been a hunter and related it to my time cleaning pheasant and grouse, I have had to "finish off" a couple of them after the shot, so the chickens came a little easier, but no matter how disconnected you try to be, those are still your birds that you raised, and cared for, but you know the purpose and will feed yourself and your family off the bounty you created for them. Well done!

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Doing the butchering for the first time is a huge step, good job! Took me ages to do it, I always stuck the DH with it. Now I share that chore. I feel much better about myself, now that I do.

I, too, felt really hyper afterwards, I'd been so fearful of it for so long. Now, I have few more I need to butcher, and soon, but I'm dragging my feet for another reason....it's bloody cold outside!

6. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
  7. marie1

marie1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    Well done, its hard to do but you did it so that is fantastic. Working up to doing the deed myself so I appreciate the struggle.
    Marie

8. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    Good for you! Those first birds are the hardest--I did my first three last summer. Next time it will be easier. Sounds like you did it the same way I did--cut the throat and take a BIG jump back! It does feel really good to finally say "I did it!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by