"Suburbanized farmer?!"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kitty135, May 12, 2011.

1. Kitty135

Kitty135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Hello! I was recently chatting with a very experienced chicken raiser. He asked me how I was enjoying my 14 six-week old chicks, and I told him about how I bathe them once a week and pet each one and want a porch light on their coop. To my surprise, he bursted into laughter and told me I was such a suburbanized farmer. What does this mean and is this good or bad?! Also, is it normal/ok for me to bathe my chickens weekly?

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
  2. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I'm pretty sure he's calling you a "City Slicker". And the reason is...ummm, I assume it's because you give your chickens baths?

3. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Most of us country folk don't wask chickens very much.... Okay I've given then a bath once or twice![​IMG] But only if they're so muddy that I can't hardly stand to touch them anymore. I guess it's fine if you "wash" them every now and then. How do you wash them anyway? just be careful and don't frazzle their feathers![​IMG]

4. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    I dont wash my chickens and dont plan on it either...I figure it rains...lol

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Bathe chickens? I have never heard of such a thing! I think he was poking some fun. ;-)

6. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    its not normal in the sense that i dont know of any chicken lover that regularly washes their birds. I dont even wash my dog that much, I dont know this for certain but washing them so much might not be good for their feathers, animals produce natural oils that keep them clean, if you put water on a grown chicken, initially the water will drop right off, a little like a duck.

So yes, this friend was poking fun, i am sure your birds love you and just because it isnt "normal" shouldnt put you off. Just remember, one of a chickens happiest tasks is to dust bathe, it is a natural way for them to prevent fleas and keep cool in the warm summer, please do not prevent your birds from this pleasure because you think it would be dirty!

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I bathe my silkies when they get too gross to handle, but not any of my other hens. I would not make a habit of it. They really don't need baths. They ARE chickens. Also, animals have natural oils that are used to protect them from the elements, etc.and bathing them frequently elimintes these oils. So I would stop bathing them regularly, as it could inhibit their natural coping mechanisms.

Most true "farmers" do not see their chickens as pets and therefore think we are silly for treating them so. Give them love, attention and treats, but I would say stop the weekly baths. Just wash YOUR hands instead.

8. Kitty135

Kitty135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Oh my! I never knew that bathing chickens could be so unhealthy! All I do is bring a bucket of warm water over to them and use a sponge to spread some warm water over them. They appear to love it, but I'll have to stop bathing them I guess. Lol. And how come people in the country don't name their chickens or treat them like pets?? I understand they will likely become dinner one day, but why don't they become attached to their farm animals?

9. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Quote:Its fine as long as you dont over-do it. Show folks bathe their chicken before a show if they want to win!

10. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I guess i've become the reverse ... a farmerized urban ... moved to the country from the city, got chickens and then stopped bathing every week. LOL.
    Okay I do bathe every week but I have gone jaunting off to the grocery store without changing my clothes after doing the chicken stuff and noticed that people
    don't crowd me in the line-up. HMMM! My chickens don't mind me though.
    I haven't started dust bathing with them yet so I guess there's still hope for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by