Success at last

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tinajacobs, Sep 23, 2016.

1. tinajacobs

tinajacobs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2015
    South africa
    [​IMG]
    Hi everyone

The first time I tried I lost 200 eggs because temp was wAy off

2nd time round
    When I woke up this morning three chicks successful hatched today is day 21 I wi give them until Monday then will through out the rest I just want to know. What do I do with the chicks now must I teach them how To drink and eat. How long can they stay in the incubator before I take them out. They are also making a big mess in there and I am stager hatching. Can I disinfect at the bottom with all the other eggs still inside. Do I need to wipe their bottoms so that poop doesn't collect there and they die

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi. After a day or two you can take them out into the brooder and dip their beaks in a shallow water dish so they know where the water is. Im sure somebody else will come along and tell you more.... I've just got my first eggs in the incubator too :) Just a question for everybody.... I don't see the pic in the post but when i quote it a pic comes up.... Is it just me?

3. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Oh and forgot to say congrats [​IMG]

4. tinajacobs

Aug 25, 2015
    South africa
    Thank you I am super excited and chuffed

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

Congrats. When to move chicks to the brooder is a personal decision and should be based on your comfort level. Many people don't remove chicks until the end of the hatch. (Or two days) Others pull them out after they are dry and fluffed. There are those of us who take them out as they become active and are moving around. I dip the beaks in water as well, but I highly doubt it's necessary. You shouldn't need to wipe bottoms unless they have pasty butt.
    I would not chemically disinfect with other eggs in there. I would pull out all shells and wipe up as much gunk as you can.

6. tinajacobs

Aug 25, 2015
    South africa
    Thank you so much I really appreciate it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by