Success despite broody nest confusion

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teddiliza, Apr 4, 2011.

1. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a broody who was doing a great job until about 4 days ago, then 2 days in a row she left her nest and went and sat on the other group of eggs which had just been laid by the other hens-- probably after she'd taken her morning break. On both days I'd come home and saw & felt the cold eggs. The first day I put her back on the right nest when I went in to collect the eggs that night. The second time I just sighed and put the 5 cold (I"m talkin 40 degrees outside) eggs into my incubator which I had promised not to use until my other chicks were out of the garage. I figured these little ones were already half done when I made that promise. I didn't really have much hope for them, but they all looked ok and none smelled funky. Today, I have 2 new chicks and one in the process of zipping, I am amazed at these resilient little peeps! I hope this story inspires others to try and salvage the results of an unsuccessful broody.

2. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    I tryed to do that after a coyote killed a hen in my back yard but i had no succes the stupid thermometer was readding 10ยบ lower thant what it showed and they all die at day 10 [​IMG]
    i would of have chiks by now but Im trying again today with 12 fresh eggs from my hens. [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If she's still sitting on eggs -- any eggs, I'd try the chicks under her after the hatch to see if she will raise them. I don't think they know they are on the wrong nest. I've seen my broodies switch nests more than once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by