Success in peeling hard boiled eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kateseidel, Sep 30, 2010.

1. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    I tried all of the recommendations on here for hard boiling fresh eggs so that they could be peeled. Although poking them with a pin was fun and left some cool holes, what finally worked was : leave the eggs out to come to room temperature, bring water to a boil, drop the eggs in and boil 20 minutes. Put immediately into cold water.

The shells practically jumped off the eggs!!

2. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    this is what I finally found to work best too!!! AWESOME!!!!

3. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Yep! That's how I do it!

Sometimes they are laid the day I boil them and they still peel easily! [​IMG]

4. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    I take mine out of the boiling water and put them straight into cold water from the fridge. I allow them to sit in the cold water for a few minutes and them peel them. The shells come off without any hassle at all. BTW, almost all our eggs are eaten the day they are laid. We have to be really quick at collecting our eggs because with these Thai birds, they only need to hear someone mention an egg and they go broody on you [​IMG]

5. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Mine are kept at room temp so all I do is boil them, they get a nice dip in ice water ( only because I am impatient) and then I crack them all over, roll them between my hands to loosen them from the shell, and they come right out so nice and pretty. My brother taught me so my deviled eggs would look nicer and I would stop cursing them.

6. zoo2u

zoo2u Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Virginia
    i also learned, finally, how to get hard boiled eggs to work from reading this site. but i used the suggestion of the 1/4 cup of salt in the water, amazing, worked like a charm, yay!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by