Success rate on shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CalicoFarm, Mar 25, 2009.

1. CalicoFarm

CalicoFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    North East Alabama
    For those of you that have recieved shipped eggs, what was your hatch rate on the different was the eggs were packaged? I am just getting started on buying shipped eggs. I have bought 4 different sets. The first ones were button quail shipped in plastic egg cartons, it had 1 broken egg. I got about a 75% hatch rate on that one. Next was Serama, they were shipped in a paper egg carton, no broken eggs. Again, about a 75% hatch rate. Next was another batch of Serama, they were individually wrapped in bubble wrap, no broken eggs. None of them even developed. Next were Dutch bantams, packed in paper egg carton, 1 was cracked. They are in the incubator now, lookes like about 50% are developing. I was just wondering if anyone else had any differances in rates in the different packaging ways.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I have gotten 2 sets of eggs shipped , I recived 24 eggs from all the way across the USA nice packing non broken or cracked 13 developed , I now have 11 eggs at day 11 , 2 developed blood rings .
    My second set of eggs I got 6 eggs non broken but they have only been in there for 2 days so far , they all had detatched air cells but we shall see.

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    What does a detached air cell look like?

I will let you know about my shipped eggs when they hatch, I am also interested in everyone's success rate! [​IMG]

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    when you candle the egg and you move it around the air bubble thats on the top moves around. It seems to happen alot, about 1/2 of my eggs in my first shipment had that and all of this one does. Some of the embryos I have in that first batch are in with eggs that have detached air cells but most of them didnt develop. I keep my shipped eggs in cartons for that reason.

5. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    That is good to know, because I figured it was like an air bubble in a bottle of water and that it should move around. I thought something was wrong with my eggs when my bubble wasn't moving! ha!

Sorry Back to the orgional question!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. Willjg

Willjg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Hey there,

Wow... I think it varies so much on shipped hatching eggs.
    I've had anywhere from 90% hatch to less than 10%....Weather, the time of the year, post office handling, so much depends on hatching success with eggs bought through the mail. I think its a gamble any time you get them that way, but if you ask me thats the fun part.

Good Luck and Take Care,
    Bill.

7. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  8. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I got 19 serama eggs last year. Wrapped individually in bubble wrap. 1 cracked, 1 out of 18 hatched. It was weak, died at 2weeks.

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    So many variables with shipped and not shipped eggs.
    I have had good hatches with shipped eggs and some poor. I have also had both with non shipped eggs.

When we incubate and try to be a hen it's not always going to work so that's just the chance we take. Incubating is not as natural as a hen and so many things can happen.
    TEMPS,HUM,SHIPPING (rough treatment),cold outside or hot outside during shipping,fertility,turning,handeling with bare hands can put bacteria into egg, candeling to early when they are still fragile,opening the bator and losing Hum last few days,xray during shipping ILL stop but could go on.

We take a chance when we incubate but for the most part I think it's fun.

10. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I have only hatched one set. The seller was very concientious, packed carefully, shipped promptly and added extra. We had a power outage on day 10 and the incubator got cold. Because of that my experience realy shouldn't count but of the 20 eggs sent I hatched 12 chicks. Since I only paid for a dozen I made out like a bandit. I am sure that had we not had the outage I would have gotten close to a hundred percent hatch. I sort of feel like this seller got the short end of the stick.

This was an experienced seller though and he was obviously pretty savy about the problems newbies have with shipped eggs. Considering what a shipped egg goes through I consider it a complete gamble. A true do not count your chickens before they hatch situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by