Success Stories with Getting Rid of Mites??? (Not scaly leg kind)

rivers2011

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2011
Port Perry, ON
Hey everyone,
one of my chickens seems to be dying of a mite infestation, which i didn't realize until the good ppl here on BYC let me know. however, i've been scouring the internet for stories about controlling mite infestations and i have yet to find a single success story. and by success, i mean eradication! after bringing this new chicken home i found myself COVERED in 20-30 new bug bites, which i'm 99.99999% sure came from him. i'm worried now that they may be breeding in my walls, carpet, bedding, furniture, etc and would love nothing more than to hear good news of ppl who have overcome this scourge
smile.png

thanks!
~river

People cure chickens of mites all the time. You'll need to dust him ASAP really well with Sevin dust and then you can use Ivermectin 7 days later. Get the pour-on Cattle kind and give him some drops under his wing on his skin. It's a systemic killer so they have to absorb it. The dosage is as follows:

Ivermectin Pour-on.. For the pour on Ivermectin for cattle (not Eprinex) the dosage use is as follows:

1 drop - OEGB sized small bantam female
2 drops - OEGB sized small bantam male
3 drops - average bantams
4 drops - large bantams, small commercial fowl
5 drops - most commercial fowl, small giant hens
6 drops - giant breeds of chicken

I always use a 3 cc syringe that I just fill to about 2 cc's with a 20 gauge needle. The needle WON'T be injected into the chicken, but does make it easier to dispense a controlled correct sized drop. It also is easier to get in there between the feathers.

For location, you'll want to find an easy to reach spot with as little fluff as possible. I've had the best luck with the back of the neck when I am by myself. I just pick up the chicken in my left hand, ruffle around the feathers with my right hand until I find a nice clear spot, then rotate the syringe around to dispense the drops exactly on the skin.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the encouragement!
i dusted all the pullets + the coop with sevin a couple hours ago. tomorrow the tractor will be dusted as well.
unfortunately, the feed store only had the injectable ivermectin, so i'm gonna pick up some insulin syringes tmrw at the drugstore to make sure i get the right dosage - they're only 6 week old Plymouth rocks, so about the same size as a bantam bird.
haven't decided if i'm gonna do it orally or subcutaneously...but i'm probably gonna be at home by myself tmrw, so in that case, it'll be done orally.
thanks for the dosing info!

while i didn't have mites (that i knew of), i had a nice infestation of lice.

i dusted them all with sevin. cleaned out the coop and sprayed with liquid sevin (saturated it) and didn't let them in until it had dried, i had replaced the bedding and sprinkled sevin all over it.

10 days later i dusted them again.

month or so later and no lice! woohooo!!
smile.png
it is supposed to work equally as well on mites, as lice.

my turkeys were looking a little pale, and they're the reason i found the lice in the first place (checked, because they were "off")

once the parasites were gone, they took off in growth!!

Last year a bird made a nest on our back porch, about 5 feet above the door. I thought it was cute and enjoyed watching them. Until the babies got older and ready to fly away and were hanging out of the nest flapping and fluttering and I began to itch. Everyone in our family was itching so I called an exterminator thinking we had a flea infestation. We were told it was bird mites from the nest above the door. Apparently the babies had mites and the mites would hop off them and onto us as we walked out the door. As the babies were gone, he advised us to wait it out since although the mites were biting us and our dogs they could not reproduce without bird blood. In a week or so we were no longer recieved any bites. (a long week). The mites each only live a short time.

Back
Top Bottom