Success Story -Emergency Hatching without an Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chippy99th, Dec 19, 2016.

1. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I just wanted to share my story of my second-to-last batch of chicks. Seems appropriate since one of them is all grown up and just hatched her own batch of babies. :)

I had a bantam mix hen sitting on a clutch of 6 eggs, it was her second time round so I figured she knew what she was doing. One day around when I was expecting them to hatch I went out to check on them after work and was horrified to discover that the chicks had started hatching...and the mom had started attacking them. One of the chicks was clearly dead, all bloody and mangled. Another one was on its way to its last breath, if not gone already. And a third one was just about completely emerged from its egg, but the mother was attacking it every time it moved. She was going for their heads. :( Obviously she has never been allowed to have chicks again.

I scooped up the babies that were still alive and also the eggs. The tricky bit was, I don't incubate eggs -I either let the hens brood them or buy chicks -so I didn't have an incubator to put the eggs in. I knew they were close to hatching, though, so I brought out the heat lamp we use for the babies we buy and made a makeshift brooder out of a box and some soft cloths. I made a nest out of the cloths and put the eggs under the lamp. Then I cleaned the blood off the hatched chicks as well as I could.

The more seriously injured chick passed away soon after I'd found them but the other one was doing okay, despite having been nearly scalped by its mother. (That chick would take weeks to heal and he never even seemed to realize anything was amiss, once it scabbed over.) I kept it with the eggs that hadn't hatched.

I was concerned because the mother had been shifting around, standing up, etc. and I was worried she'd killed them in the eggs; for awhile, none of them were moving or making sounds. I held them under the light -I had to keep varying the distance because I couldn't control the temperature any other way -and made sounds like mother hens make to their eggs as they hatch. They started chirping back at me, and soon two of the eggs pipped, zipped & hatched, right in my hands. That was towards the evening.

The third egg did not even pip until the wee hours of the morning and I had to stay up with it and hold it because, again, I couldn't control the temperature any other way. Eventually that chick made its slow way out of the shell and this weekend she hatched 7 chicks (and has thankfully been a much better mother than her own was). I am so proud of her! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Thanks for sharing that

3. EggPlanter

EggPlanter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Can I post a success story in this thread?
    Sorry for the post above didn't want to make you feel like I was intruding your thread. I realize that this isn't my success story thread, it is yours. Sorry! Cool story by the way though.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Personally, I'd start another - particularly if it's on a different topic

5. EggPlanter

May 21, 2015
    Ok, probably better idea thanks!

6. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Thanks for reading it! EggPlanter, if you do make another thread for yours, I'd love to have the link to read it!

7. EggPlanter

May 21, 2015
    Here is the link to my success story if you would like to read it. If you don't read it I completely understand and thank you for reading this anyway, but if you do however end up reading it, I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks and hope you have a merry Christmas and happy new year!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by