Success story from "Hen Mauled by Dog stated by ChickinBlack on 8-16-12

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Quietjd, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Quietjd

Quietjd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Howdy--wanted to share GOOD news. It has been nearly 6 weeks since our hen was attacked by a dog on the same day (8-16-12) as ChickinBlack's hen. I started posting on her thread 'cuz I was brand new to forums and trying to figure out how to help our hen. (My posts about our wounded hen started on 8-20 of ChickinBlack's original thread.)

Our little hen is STILL ALIVE and doing very well, in spite of the 6 deep puncture wounds, tissue loss, and bone loss. We have carefully nursed her back to health, taking time to change her wet/dry dressings and pulling out the gunky stuff from the deep wounds. Our little Whiskers is a survivor! Had it not been for the great info I found on these forums, we probably would have given up on her the first night. The infection did not go down under her backbone, as we had feared. It did penetrate through a flap of connective muscle under her wing/thigh area. That was mess to keep working with, because we could only access it from the puncture holes. And we opted not to slice into the area. Nonetheless, we kept pushing wet gauze in the tiny hole for about a two inch lengthwise section underneath the muscle flap. Each time we did the wet/dry, we would pull out more necrotic (dead) tissue from surface areas and also from underneath the flap. We found that if we were just patient and waited on some sections, when it was the right time, the stuff would just peel right off and form new, healthy skin. A week ago, my son pulled a whole bunch of black, almost plastic-type dead stuff from under the muscle flap. We figured it was the top layer inside the cavern-type wound that was sloughing off and new healthy skin was underneath. Within a day or two, the little puncture wound closed up on it's own; the last of the puncture wounds to disappear!

Healthy skin and feathers have been replacing the huge 3-4 inch dog bite. Her hind quarters have healed up tremendously. At first I was worried that the bite had gone into her oviduct area because her tail area had a 1 inch rip in it, but no seepage or foul smell was present. Amazingly, that heal up quickly.

Only one area with exposed backbone is still under our watchful eyes. This wound is on her backbone where the teeth went clear through the backbone. We've watched for signs of infection, but that part looks and smells nice and clean (unlike that muscle flap area did!) She still has a one inch crater of missing tissue that is very slowly growing granulated tissue. I think that will probably be a bald spot on her back for a long while.

I wish I could figure out how to post photos, so you guys could see the wonderful healing she has undergone the past 6 weeks.

I let her out during the day to talk with the other hens and enjoy the bugs and pecking seeds, etc. At night we bring her into her box in the dining room because the other hens try to peck at her bandage. I am hoping that by the time that crater gets filled with good healthy tissue, that her back feathers will have grown long enough to cover the area to prevent pecking.

She is still feisty and can hold her own against the other hens; (except when they all gang up on her). Then she usually runs under the outside equipment, so they can't pester her.

Wet/dry method really works, even at deeper levels than skin tissue areas! Don't give up on your wounded hens. If they have a will to survive, they can come back to health with a little help!

Life is hard; but God is good! And I am thankful for forums like these that allow us all to share life's emergencies and remedies in the barnyard.

Thanks and God bless!

QuietJD

2. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

good!!!! Glad to hear it!!!!

3. plm6846

plm6846 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Our Easter Egger was grabbed through the chain link by a Owl her first night with us. The wounds are healing just fine, but the chicken is acting a bit off. She lays down to peck at the ground and won't even peck at the meal worms unless laying down. She has to be placed into the coop at night won't go in herself, and we have to take her out in the morning, she won't come out just walks around "upstairs". It has been two weeks since her encounter, the coop got finished and we put our two chickens inside. She does eat and drink, but we need to put her out by the waterer. Is this going to fix itself? Her back under the wing (left side) was injured not her head or legs. At first she would only move in circles her buddy encourages her to move differently, but what is going on anyway? Is it a chicken healing thing? Just curious.. thanks for all your help! [​IMG]

4. 13chooks

13chooks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Sounds as if she sustained a spinal injury. Even if her backbone is not affected there is a lot of conective tissue around there that could have been damaged.

5. plm6846

Sep 17, 2012
    Update we lost our EE, one month after her experience, her wounds healing nicely but I think the trauma was just too much for such a young bird...

6. SuzanneW

SuzanneW Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    France
    Oh how wonder to know there is another one out there who doesn't see chickens as just any old animal!! My neighbours laugh at me for how we treat our birds!!

Well done for all your fantastic efforts that obviously has paid back! Sadly, our dog when we first had him, mauled one of our chickens, but it was just too late! I saw her under one of our benches and was about to shoo her back into her pen, when I realised she was just too still and on going closer, the awful reality hit me and it took my husband to persuade me not to attack our dog (yep I was flipping furious with him and it took a while to forgive him, but one can't help loving him so I forgave him).

Recently, we had a turkey who had a poorly foot and a chicken and both are back flourishing with the others and it give me such a warm feeling that we caused them to be well again!

If any of our chickens suffer a flesh wound, we spray some blue or silver stuff on them and it not only heals them but stops other from attacking.

If you can, please give Whiskers (?) a kiss from me:D

7. Quietjd

Quietjd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Hi there!

Sorry for the late reply! We were totally distracted by lots of other things going on here. Thanks so much for your kind Whiskers comments. She has returned back to the general flock now, and most all of her feathers have covered the wounded area. There is still a little purple here and there from that Blue Kote, gentian violet stuff we used. The other hens try to peck her still, but she has become courageous enough to fight back (a plus from the dog attack!). She still comes running over to me after the feed has been put down for the other hens. OK....I haven't "kissed her" but I do give her extra treats that make all the other ladies jealous! She really liked the hard boiled egg yolks I made up for her when she was on the mend. I think she would do a back flip for another!

Thanks for your comments!

Quietjd

8. plm6846

Sep 17, 2012
    I am very glad for your success...our hen did not fare so well, we think the trauma did her in after 3 weeks of careful nurturing she lost her battle. Our hen had an Owl encounter it was not very direct but still very traumatic for a young hen.

9. plm6846

Sep 17, 2012
    Blue or silver? What is that? We might need to add it to our arsenol of chicken healing items [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by