*SUCCESS* WHen will they learn how to use the ramp?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fshinggrl, Jun 24, 2011.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I know, you don't know for sure... but this is frustrating. My chickens are about 9 weeks old (2 months). I have 2 cockerels and 8 pullets. They've been out in the henhouse now for 2 weeks. It's been very cold and rainy, so I haven't let them out of the henhouse every day, but we're going on two weeks now of on & off being released and I have had to catch them (fun when they can get under the henhouse) and put them inside. The two cockerels have figured it out. They are in every night. There is a light that turns on before dark, so that is there. I know these chickens have not been in the henhouse all day because they all drink water (located inside) like crazy. I can't even 'herd' them up the ramp.

Any suggestions? I've tried treats. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Maybe block off the crawl space & turn the light off.

3. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    It took mine 2 weeks to figure it out, and another week before they could do it gracefully. Mine only need to use it to go in at night. If they are in a run or free ranging and the only water is inside where they can't get to it without help then if it were me I would move the water.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    How would turning the light off help them walk up the ramp to get in their henhouse?

I need them locked in at night... for their safety. Help!

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Posting a pic of your setup would help. [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:They can't see in the dark so they might go in the coop earlier if there's no light shining.

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I put a trail of treats going up the ramp to get mine used to it. I'm not sure if your light is in the coop or outside of it, they are more likely to go inside in the coop if is not too dark. I make sure I get them in and locked up well before dark. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  8. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    My guess is it has to be the light. If there is no light then they know enough to get inside and on the roost before dark.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, a small light inside the housing has always worked for me, so I can't see that being the problem. I would definitely block off the opening to get underneath the coop (I had to do that when I put my bantam chicks out in their coop - they had a ramp too). Could the cockerels be harrassing them, so the pullets are avoiding going inside with them??? You might want to sit out there and observe a bit. Other than that, I would (during the day), trail some really great treat (mine LOVE raisins) up along the ramp to inside, maybe put the cockerels in a pen or something while you work on "training" since they already have it down.

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Thats the message I was trying to tell the OP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by