Success with cold winters in a "playhouse"???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shellyb, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Shellyb

Shellyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Hello everyone. I've seen alot of the playhouse coops and find them to be great! But, I do live in CT where winters are pretty cold. I was looking to hear some from people who have these coops in colder climates and see how they made out last winter? Thank you to all!

2. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    I am also in CT (hello, neighbor!) and am picking up a playhouse tomorrow to convert into a coop. Another BYCer told me to drill holes around the playhouse and slowly add expanding spray foam into it. I will also be putting both hardware cloth on the windows for now, and adding plexiglass over that when the weather starts getting colder. Someone also suggested silicone caulking around the joints. But don't forget to allow for adequate ventilation.

3. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I live in a cold climate as well and would love to hear how the Little Tyke playhouse stands up to cold temps.

4. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    we live in ct as well as long as you have good hardy birds you will be fine eith any coop that they can get out of the weather.we raise mostly orp an production reds,an a few delawares an black giants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by