Successful non invasive Bumblefoot treatment!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Flock Leader, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    I guess I should have taken photos, but I didn't think of it until later, and anyway it was rather gross...

So, one of my hens had Bumblefoot - definitely, and a pretty bad case. I tried to drain the swelling by holding the afflicted foot in warm water, peeling off the scab and gently squeezing out the pus, but it worked only partially and after two days it was swollen again.

So I tried applying an antibiotic ointment which I just happened to have on hand - a combo of Chloramphenicol and Prednisolone. I did it twice a day for two weeks and it worked like magic! I never had to squeeze, cut or drain anything again. The hen is now broody and her feet look just fine. Just thought I'd share!

2. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    That's wonderful! I have had a similar experience.

1 person likes this.
  3. DS17

DS17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    Glad this worked for you! Did you wrap the feet at all after you applied the ointment?
    Attila, I would love to hear what you did.
    One of my girls has bumble foot on both feet. I've ordered the Ticide-Neo powder to try but would love to hear what other non surgical options there are.

4. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    I tried to, but the bandage was torn off by the annoyed hen after about three seconds, so I gave up. I just applied the ointment at night (in addition to once in the morning) when I knew she'd at least quietly stay on the roost rather than scratch and run and rub it off in a second. Plus she was easier to catch this way.

5. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    Is this ointment readily available? Where would I get some?

Kristy

6. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Kristy, the ointment brand name is Threolone and it was just something I happened to have on hand in the refrigerator door. It's meant for humans, not chickens, but it worked. We got a prescription for it once from our family doctor and had most of it left. Maybe a vet would have something similar under a different name, for animal use?

7. 2FishCreative

2FishCreative New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    My hen has bumblefoot, it's located just above the nail on the rear toe. I didn't catch it early, the toe was very swollen and her foot quite warm. I managed to loosen and remove the plug after a good soak, but there wasn't any pus or hard yellow bits and it did bleed (this is day 2 of treatment) more than what I've read. I've massaged the area trying to work anything out, flushed it with hydrogen peroxide, dried it and applied antibiotic ointment, gauze, and wrapped it. This is day 4, she's had a total of 5 treatments and the swelling has gone down quite a bit (although still swollen), foot not as warm, minimal bleeding this past treatment. There is still a hard area on the toe, which I massage while it's soaking. She has been quarantined in a dog kennel for the past 4 days, continues to behave normally, etc. I've given her mealworms, other treats, normal feed, water with NutriDrench & ACV. The first couple of days her poop was quite stinky, but more normal today. I ordered TricideNeo but probably won't get it until Monday. I have some questions for folks who have experienced this, your feedback is welcome. I know there are different approaches and opinions, and will take that under consideration (what works for one may not work for another). So - any concerns with the long quarantine? Any ideas why there wasn't any pus, hard yellow "kernels" others have spoken of? She hasn't laid in several days, any concerns with her eggs once she starts up again? Anything I'm forgetting or not addressing? TIA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by