Such a gentleman

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BittyBanty, Jul 14, 2010.

1. BittyBanty

BittyBanty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Albuquerque
    I am enjoying watching my new birds so much I go see them a dozen times a day. It's great to see how Tabasco adores his girls and looks after thier wellbeing. He does things like plant himself between me and them when I walk up until he sees it is safe (Treats are here!) He also cackles like a wildman ever time anything flies overhead (there are a lot of doves here and they are SOOOOO scary!) He asks nicely and waits for Salsa or Chile to squat before he takes his reward. Well this morning I noticed him scratching around the treat pan in the litter. He was hunting up missed treats. When he would find a morsel he would call Salsa over for her to have it then congratulate himself loudly. He's a really good guy and I am happy for my girls. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    raising chickens is a joy in life....

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I allso have a gentlemen,I was told he was a silkie but have sine learned he is not(thinking he might be a silkie cochin cross),he does all the same things your does.Don`t you just love it when they find a treat and they do that noise and all the others come running to find out what he has for them?He allso has children and granchildren in with him and he is so good to the babies,I looked in last night and the babies were trying [​IMG]to get under him and he was letting them!

4. BittyBanty

BittyBanty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Albuquerque
    I have to find a place to host pics. I'm worse than a new grandma and want to show everybody!

5. 88Haywood88

88Haywood88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Your roo sounds like a saint! The one i have now is going to freezer camp (I just love calling it "freezer camp") next week. He does none of the things you said, and beats up my hens constantly. You are VERY lucky. [​IMG]

6. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

That's so sweet!

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I, too, have a gentleman for a rooster. He lost his other hens to a dog attack early in the year and has been waiting patiently for his new girls to mature .. Always courting .. never pressing his advantage. Finally this week, the girls have allowed him to breed, and he's been very gentle with them ..

Yesterday we got our fist eggs ..

Yes, raising chickens is a joy in life!

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How wonderful that some of you have such sweet and mannerly roosters! [​IMG] I'd adopt one in an instant if I could find a fella like that for my girls...

9. shellz131

shellz131 Sams Memory Lane

Jun 28, 2010
    Malone Ny
    I have a Lavender Silkie like that he is so cute [​IMG] I love it when he does his little dance for his girls [​IMG]

10. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Wish I could find a rooster like that for my big girls,everyone I have had is a terror on them,they all found new homes/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by