Such a Nightmare!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JakRat, Dec 17, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I just got 2 of the sweetest 2 month olds... they are THE best chicks I have ever had and are so sweet loving and well behaved.

Problem is is that I already have 4 older hens and a banty rooster. I only have one coop so I cannot just separate them and what not to get used to each other. Last week I did just toss them in the coop and while a few of the girls did "mommy" pecking, one of my barred rocks just picked one up by her neck and shook it! Poor little thing now has a hole in her head (dont worry it is healing up just fine). Now my barred rocks are jerks... I have disliked them since like day 5... My questions is this : Should I get rid of the barred rocks and get to hens and just put them all together and let them re hatch out their pecking order? I was thinking of asking a local chicken friend if he would want to trade since his have run of his property and dont really need to worry about a coop situation...

Thanks yall!

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I was hoping that by having the three original ones, the two babies, and then two other new hens then they would all just figure it out and get along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by