Sudde onset, twisted neck, photos in this message

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seamouse, Dec 27, 2010.

1. seamouse

seamouse Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We need alot more info please, age, what you feed, all symptoms, what type coop, bedding how many other chickens, What typoe weather are you having, anything that would help, there is a sticky at the top of the page that you can fill out. When did this start?

3. seamouse

May 23, 2009
    Ms Lydia,

My post with the specifics was posted before the photos. Here's the info again:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Small silver polish hen; 18 moths

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Day before yesterday she was fine, yesterday I found her standing in coop with neck twisted back parallel to body, tail distinctly down. She can stand but has little balance. She is not "circling," but when she does try to move, she mostly can turn a half circle and then stops and just stands there. If she gets excited by something I do, she will flap her wings pretty hard and try to climb up my chest. She will try to perch, also if she gets excited. She has not exactly labored breathing, but a jerky motion with her head when breathing. She has NO excretions from mouth, nose, eyes, and has had none in the 20 hours I've been directly observing her. She does not seem to have actual paralysis, but she does not have full control of movements. No "twitching" or curled toes / feet / legs.

She is "immobile" enough that, in the house now, I can just leave her lay or stand on a towel on the floor with no confinement and she's definately not going anywhere. When sleeping, she droops her wings, but while standing, the wings aren't really drooping. Maybe a tiny bit. She is not being at all vocal. Little bit of tummy gurgling sound when she 'eats' the whey mixture.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

20 hours that I'm aware of. Not likely much longer.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms

Not yet. There are 2 roosters and 19 hens in this hen's coop. She is isolated in the house at the moment.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Not that I can find.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Nothing I'm aware of.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Between 2 p.m. and 10 p.m. yesterday, I was able to feed her about 3 tablespoons of whey mixed with brewers yeast, collodial silver, VetRx and Rescue Remedy. This morning, I was able to feed her an additional dose of the above in one setting. She was hungry and much easier to feed. With help, she also ate a little scratch grains. I had to keep untwisting her head and hold it straight and keep the bowl tipped where she could see and hit it, but she did eat a little on her own, and she wanted to! Over the past 20 hours, she's had about 1000 I.E vitamin E.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Until a few minutes ago, she had not pooped at all! She just had a poo that consisted of fairly bright green matter that looked as if she'd had some decent greens, which she has not. (It's winter here.) There was evident white "urine," a large amount of clearish / yellowish liquid, AND what looks like a pretty good size blood clot. It looks like a small placenta, or a chunk of liver except that it is sort of accordian folded. It's about an inch wide and two inches long. Pretty solid; doesn't fall apart. Barely has an odor.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Treatment is described under what she's eating and drinking. Other treatment has just been to isolate, observe and keep her resting / calm.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Need to treat her myself. Probably have some resources available at local feed store. Am concerned about well-being of rest of flock, i.e. what to watch for... Also about household biohazard needs.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Can post photo of bird and poo if I can figure out how to do so. Will send message first.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Flock is in a stellar insulated coop, dirt floor, lots of straw bedding, nice roosts and ventilation. I think it's 10 x 12 or 14. This is their second winter in the coop. Sick hen is in small dog carrier in house with straw bedding under old T-shirt material.

Yikes! This poor hen.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    thanks for posting, I just read in Back Yard Poultry a recipe for sick chickens, 1/2 cup corn [or oatmeal] and or barley, 1/2tea. Echinacea powder, 1/2tea. Astragalus powder, 1/2 oregon grape powder or Goldenseal, 1 Tab. ACV 1 heaping tablespoon Probiotic powder. Make a hot mash with about half the corn, oats,[oatmeal],and or barley or mixture of all 3, Add the given amount of grains to cold water and cook according to type of grain used, as times will differ depending on the grain. Cook well let cool stir in herbs and other ingredients, use 1/2tea, each of the first three powder herbs 1tab. ACV and 1tab. of probiotic per each bird. If mix gets stiff, add more warm water. feed mixture once per day for 3 days. then rest one, then 3 more one off as needed[this is called"' pulsing"the herbs. You can still eat the eggs.This helps to boost your birds immune system.
    * I know you might not have all the ingredients now but I ordered them as soon as I saw this, As for her head being twisted I am not sure I will try to find so information and get right back okay. Please hold on and lets see what we can find out.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    looked for any diseases that could cause these symptoms: There is one Mycoplasma, which needs to be treated with Tylan200 injectable or Baytril. It is very contagious so hopefully thats not it but see what you think, the only other one I saw where the head twists except for wry neck is Taxoplasma which is very unlikely, at 18 months maybe wry neck but I thought it was more in younger chickens. I wish I had a diagnosis for you, But keeping her isolated from the rest of the flock until you have a better idea about whats going on is a very good idea. I'll keep looking and hopefully others will post too...... heres a link that might help http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 and www.shagbarkbantams.com. hope this helps I am at a loss, sorry

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    how is she doing tonight?

7. seamouse

May 23, 2009
    Well, she just ate her whey slurry again. She had a second poo similar to the first but without the giant clot looking thing. She is willing (and able with help) to eat some scratch grains and even pecked the sunflower seeds out of them, but she didn't want anything to do with her regular layer feed. LOL. I do have to help hold her head and hold the bowl of grains very specifically in order for her to eat them. She did some standing up for awhile. Is still not at all mobile or vocal. Thanks for asking. -Rochelle

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  9. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have you given her any vitamins -- poly-vi-sol? Vitamin B? Vitamin E? Maybe you have and I missed it. Wry neck is a vitamin deficiency disease. Hope she's doing better -- I know they are such a worry when things aren't going right.

Jenny

10. seamouse

May 23, 2009
    Hi Lydia and Jenny,

Lydia, I did look at all your links and appreciated them. Bookmarked them for future reference. The thing that throws me is the lack of respiratory signs. Almost everything that talks about some of her symptoms also includes respiratory distress and she has absolutely none. She did eat well again tonight. And, Jenny, I have been giving her vitamin E and feeding her Brewers Yeast which is a Vit B supplement. I haven't had a car today and so have been relying on what I've got here. Everything I've been feeding her has been mixed in a yogurt whey or yogurt base, so she's getting some of those probiotics, too. We'll see what happens tomorrow, I guess. Thank you both for your responses.

-Rochelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by