Sudden 3 day old chick death - crop issues?

askem

Songster
May 20, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Hello, I am just trying to understand what happened to my new chick and if it will happen to the other 27.

No, my light bulb is not Teflon. No, I do not use any type of sprays, scents, candles, etc. Yes, they have access to clean water. Yes, they have access to clean chick starter. They are in a brooder with plenty of room and a heat lamp, and the temperature directly under the lamp is around 95/100 though they are rarely directly under the lamp.

The chicks were all fine and eating, drinking, running around. I left them alone for an hour (I stayed in the room still) and when I looked back at them, there was one chick laying with what appeared to be vomit coming from her mouth.

She was picked up and seemed to be shaking and large amounts of clear liquid/bubbles were pouring from her mouth. Within 30 seconds, she died.

She was not found anywhere near the water, in fact she was on the opposite side of the brooder. I do not think she aspirated.

Looking at the liquid, it was a very sticky almost clear liquid with small pieces of food in it.

Now after some research, it seems it could have been an issue with her crop. However, is that possible in a chick that is only 3 days old?

I did also read a mention that the shaking could just have been death throes and not a seizure, but if it wasn't that could it have been a seizure?

Photos of the brooder?

Sounds like she may have aspirated.
If the chicks are on shavings, then I would provide chick grit, sometimes chicks will eat bits of bedding.
Yes, it's possible for a chick(en) at any age to have a crop problem.

Photos of the brooder?

Sounds like she may have aspirated.
If the chicks are on shavings, then I would provide chick grit, sometimes chicks will eat bits of bedding.
Yes, it's possible for a chick(en) at any age to have a crop problem.

I can take a picture in a few if need be. It is just two "farm innovators baby chick starter home" zip tied together, with a 250 watt lamp (we actually have two lamps set up but one isnt turned on because the chicks are only using half the brooder).

We are using puppy pads at the moment. Chick grit is provided.

The only reason I didnt think aspiration is because she was on the opposite side from the brooder, though I suppose she could have walked there while aspirating?

Do you have chick grit mixed with their food? If not that could definitely be the problem.
Not mixed in, but it is provided in a separate container and while I can't guarantee this specific chick has eaten it, I have seen several nibble on it.

The chicks were all fine and eating, drinking, running around. I left them alone for an hour (I stayed in the room still) and when I looked back at them, there was one chick laying with what appeared to be vomit coming from her mouth.

She was picked up and seemed to be shaking and large amounts of clear liquid/bubbles were pouring from her mouth. Within 30 seconds, she died.

The only reason I didnt think aspiration is because she was on the opposite side from the brooder, though I suppose she could have walked there while aspirating?
Chickens don't have a gag reflex. Liquid coming/pouring from the beak, aspiration. Doesn't really matter where she was located in the brooder.
As to why their was fluid coming from the beak...impacted crop, had something stuck in her throat...a bit of speculation there, unless it was investigated further.

Back
Top Bottom