Sudden agression towards one hen

w1ghtn1ght

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Western Michigan
A couple days ago I found one of my hens standing in a small cluster of weeds by my rabbit barn by herself after I had fed the rest of the flock in their open run about 200 feet away. This seemed very odd to me so I picked her up and took her back to the chicken run and put her down. ( Some information about this particular chicken- she doesn't roost at night, but wedges herself into a corner of the coop.on the floor. I got her as a young adult and she has always done this. Often I find our duck sitting near her) After I put her down she raced into the coop as if she had been lost but within seconds, several of the other chickens and one if the roosters were attacking her and chasing her around the pen! I rescued her from that, have looked her over for injuries or illness and found nothing wrong with her. Any ideas why the group suddenly ostracized her? She now is being a mascot to my rabbits for her safety.

Did you buy her by herself as a hen to add to your flock? What kind of integration did you do with her before you added her into the flock?
She is the bottom of the pecking order and it seems like she isn’t truly part of the flock.

Any ideas why the group suddenly ostracized her?
Suddenly?
How long have you had this bird?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @w1ghtn1ght
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1612021489296.png

Did you buy her by herself as a hen to add to your flock? What kind of integration did you do with her before you added her into the flock?
She is the bottom of the pecking order and it seems like she isn’t truly part of the flock.
I've had her for over a year and she did come with one other who unfortunately became a meal for a hawk over the summer. She always eats with the rest of the flock, not hanging back to wait as if she were lower in pecking order. She has been "one of the flock" until this. That's part of the reason this is so confusing.

I've had her for over a year and she did come with one other who unfortunately became a meal for a hawk over the summer. She always eats with the rest of the flock, not hanging back to wait as if she were lower in pecking order. She has been "one of the flock" until this. That's part of the reason this is so confusing.
That is odd. I am so sorry you lost her buddy to a hawk.
Do you have objects in the run for her to get away from the others? Like roosts, chairs, logs, etc. I’m trying to think of things to help with her stress level.

There are places she could get to but she currently is settled pretty nicely into my rabbit barn, so I'll let her stay there until I come up with a better plan. I'd hate to find her dead in a snowbank. Maybe when it's warmer we can reintroduce her.

Back
Top Bottom