Sudden Change In Health (What Happened? Help, Please)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Keira Janiga, May 24, 2019.

1. Keira Janiga

Keira Janiga In the Brooder

May 4, 2019
    So, I was just putting my chickens away for the night when I turned around to find one hen still out. All day, she had been acting completely normal—she was dust-bathing, eating, drinking, laid an egg—everything a healthy chicken would do.
    But, when I approached her and picked her up, she was somewhat limp, and was gulping a lot. I checked to see if she was choking on something, or something was stuck in her crop or throat. Nothing. I checked for mites and broken bones—nothing was to be found.
    She was also shaking badly, and her eyes were also half closed. There really isn’t anything that she could have eaten that would’ve made her sick . . . So, what is it? Is there anything I can do to help her?

chicken heven likes this.
  2. chicken heven

chicken heven Songster

Mar 5, 2018
    My Coop
    Is it hot there ?

3. Keira Janiga

May 4, 2019
    It was a good 74 degrees—with some wind. I don’t think heatstroke or something like that is possible in that temp, but maybe.

4. CHickychikchik

CHickychikchik Hatching

Mar 30, 2018
    Gapeworms come to mind. Look it up on the web.

5. chicken heven

chicken heven Songster

Mar 5, 2018
    My Coop
    The gulping is her panting and does she have a bump on her feet.

6. Keira Janiga

May 4, 2019
    I don’t think she has gapeworms—she’s not raspy or hissing when she’s breathing. chicken heven—she does have a bump on her foot. I’ve treated once some time ago because it looked like bumblefoot. Is it something else?
    Also, she’s not gasping anymore, but she still having tremors and is closing her eyes half way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: