Sudden Chick Death

bangarain

Songster
8 Years
Mar 23, 2015
Vermont
This morning, all of my chicks were energetic, eating, drinking, and behaving like healthy little babies. This afternoon, my mom found one of my chicks dead. She was six days old. No signs of illness, or injury, or anything that could have suggested why she died. A few days ago, we lost another who had gotten pasty butt overnight - also a first for me. Do you think that these are just flukes, or do I need to worry about my other babies? They're on Kalmbach chick starter, have water with ACV, and an Ecoglow 600 brooder plate. Their bedding is paper towel for now, going to be changed over to shavings next week.

Every time I've lost chicks before, it's been a slow decline from day one - never anything sudden. :(

Last edited:
This morning, all of my chicks were energetic, eating, drinking, and behaving like healthy little babies. This afternoon, my mom found one of my chicks dead.
Could be Omphalitis (Mushy Chick Disease.) It hits fast and will kill the chick suddenly. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that though :(

Last edited:
Keep an eye on the other chicks. Are they eating and drinking properly? Is their stool normal? How is their breathing? A couple of my chicks went from being happy, seemingly healthy chicks to dead balls of fluff in less than 6hrs. One of the main things was that towards the end, they lost all their strength and started gasping and choking... hopefully the rest of your babies will be alright.

Back
Top Bottom