Sudden chick deaths & tiny chick who can't stand?

CitrusDuck

Hatching
Nov 8, 2020
Hello, this post is kind of about two issues regarding my chicks, I am looking for help to keep my tiny chick alive while trying to find out why some died.

We just got a bunch of chicks shipped to us 2 days ago, and one chick is only half the size of others and gets knocked around by the others. She's able to stand and walk (wobbly), but when others knock her over she just lays on the side for everyone to trample and cries. She is still eating and drinking, although more inclined to if I place her at the water/food and help stabilize her standing initially.
I was not expecting her to make it, but overnight a different chick died and today 2 other ones died in my hands suddenly in the exact same way. They acted completely healthy and happy an hour prior to death, until I heard sudden distress calls from the brooder and found them laying down with eyes closed. When I picked them up they were completely limp but still breathing, but within a minute they started gasping, kicked a few times and then passed away.. Both of the ones today died the exact same way, with the first one coughing up a little bit of mucus in my hand before dying. I tried to massage their crops a little in case they were choking, but obviously no help. The second one died while everyone was sleeping, so it could not have been related to trampling. I don't understand if the cause was an external factor or just a "some don't make it" scenario, seeing that they were strong and energetic.

The brooder is in the right temp and I gave them a fresh bucket of save-a-chick electrolytes to drink today. If anyone knows what may have been the cause of death, please let me know, as I'm afraid more might die the same way. Any suggestions on how to help the tiny chick would be appreciated; I tried to separate her with some friends but she would not have it, so I've been keeping a close eye on the trampling in the brooder.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Days old "Green Queen" breed from meyers, seems to be a variety of mutts. Some have 5 toes and some are bearded, coming in a wide variety of colors. The tiny one is about half the size of others, being as long as a thumb.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Explained the death above; tiny chick keeps getting knocked over and can't get back up on her own
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Chicks were healthy and died suddenly like from a stroke; tiny chick has been small and weaker since arrival
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea what may have caused the chicks to drop dead after crying out suddenly
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Chick starter crumbles, save-a-chick electrolyte water since today (with proper dosage)
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal; the smaller chick's poos are more of a transparent liquid with small chunks of brown poo in it if that's normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Keeping a close eye to make sure no one is knocking over the chick and bringing her to the food/water to encourage consumption
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Trying my best to help this chick survive and to figure out how the others died
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
F26D6312-89E2-477D-AAAF-807FC1405BB9.jpeg 6F9C03E1-DAE1-48E6-AAD0-CCF5142C2564.jpeg FF90ED84-3C0B-4245-A747-04877C1C72CF.jpeg
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Sheets of straw fiber bedding that came as the bedding for the shopping box (the small one had an easier time standing and walking on it)

Heat lamp on one side of the brooder, we monitor their behavior too to make sure they are feeling comfortable and spread out in there. And there's no drowning because we use one of those circular waterers for baby chicks that are as shallow as their foot.

Back
Top Bottom