sudden chicken death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buckeyenana, Nov 27, 2011.

1. buckeyenana

buckeyenana New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    [​IMG]I have about 30 - 40 chickens. over the past month or two, we have had three unexpected deaths. They all appear to be healthy and clear eyed. We do not see any evidence of any diseases. The three hens were all found in the coop, either in their nests, on in the middle of the coop sitting. There has been no evidence of a predator, no puncture wounds or lost feathers. We do not see anything swollen. They appeared to be fine prior to their untimely death. We are baffled, any help will be appreciated. thank you.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    More info, please. How old are they? Have you wormed them? When, with what? What do they eat?

How is their poop looking? Are you sure there are no other symptoms leading up to the deaths?

Do they free range? They may have eaten something toxic? Three in two months, with almost 40 chickens is more than you would want, but not a lot.
    Depending on age.... especially young hens that have only been laying a short time: hens that die in the nest may well have been eggbound, even ones that die in, near, around the nests.

Use the search here on BYC for more info. -- search Eggbound, consider their age -- if laying they are old enough to need worming -- especially if they free range.

Sorry I can't be more help.
    Good luck, hope you don't lose anymore, hope it is an anomally.

3. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I have had the same thing happen. My Light Brahma died this morning, and she was fine yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by