Sudden chicken death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunsetlake, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Sunsetlake

Sunsetlake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Rural Indiana
    I found my 11 month old easter egger, Elizabeth, dead yesterday morning. It looked as though she had just fell over and died off her roost. She was one of the top hens in the pecking order, so she was always on the top roost beside the roo. She had seemed fine, was eating fine, and was laying her blue eggs fine. The only thing I can figure is that maybe it was a combo of stress and cold? Our temps here the past couple nights have been in the single digits and the night she died was a day/night of wind at 35 with gusts up to 45. It looked like a blizzard outside for most of the day. Is this possible, that she would die becasue of this? Everyone else in the coop seemed fine yesterday. But then again, she seemed fine before that too.

I have easter eggers, black australorps, and buff orphingtons all from Rural King. Do any of these birds have a long lifespan? I mean like 5 years at least? There my pets, so I just don't like to think of losing them so early, but now I wonder if they are bred to lay eggs so proficiently, does it just take its toll on them and they will all die early deaths? Does it matter where you purchase them from? Are different breeders out there with better breeds of these birds so they will last longer? Or is her death just a fluke?

Thanks for any help, so sad to see her gone...

2. KayHartZZ

KayHartZZ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    I'm sorry I don't have anything to contribute, I hope somebody with experience can answer but perhaps without a necropsy nobody can say for certain as to why she dropped so suddenly. I do wonder too if laying so proficiently takes a toll. I think if you're not manipulating their laying with lights to extend their laying time, they would be ok. I do want to offer my sympathies. I'm sorry for your loss, so sudden.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It can be common to lose a chicken at the point of lay, or around a year of age, from natural causes such as a heart problem, kidney disease, or other problems. A necropsy by the state vet would be a good way to find a cause of death, and many will do their own, just to rule out egg binding, a worm overload, a gizzard blockage, and other illnesses, but those hens would show signs of illness before dying. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by