**Sudden, Chicken watering eyes and vision problems**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bluucantu1, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Bluucantu1

Bluucantu1 New Egg

Jul 13, 2010
    Midwest
    Hi all, my name is Rebecca and I'm new, so HELLO!

Our light Brahma (12 weeks old) has been shutting her eyes a lot, so upon further inspection noticed that they were watering. Then when I tried to hand feed her something she seemed to be able to see that it was there, but not see the distance any longer. She would then miss the food, then shake her head back and forth.
    Has anyone heard of this? She's my daughter's (7 years old) hen and we are really upset because we don't know what this means or how to treat her.
    Thanks for any suggestions, I appreciate it!

Rebecca

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    How is the chick today??? Couple things .. what type of bedding do oyu use? Do you ahve adequite ventilation in your coop? it sounds too me like she may have an upper respitory infection.. May try antibiotics

3. Bluucantu1

Bluucantu1 New Egg

Jul 13, 2010
    Midwest
    Thanks for asking, she is the same. We have wood shavings in there now. They have a window in their coop, but they are in their outside coop all day.
    I'm concerned because she can see her food there, but it must look a lot closer to her and she can't get to it, she pecks about halfway to the food and water and at some point she just gives up. [​IMG]
    We are taking her to a vet today, hopefully they will be able to help her without breaking my wallet.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wishing you good luck. I just wanted you to be prepared for the vet bill. I've spent about 200 dollars once taking one of our favorite girls in. It can be very pricey. Hopefully someone sees your post and knows exactly what it is and you wont have to go to the vet. Sometimes it takes a little while for the right person to see your post but we have been able to avoid a vet visit more times than not. Welcome to BYC
    ETA: if you are using cedar shavings that can cause a respitory infection and you should switch to pine shavings instead. sorry if you already knew that.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  5. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    How did the vet go?

6. Bluucantu1

Bluucantu1 New Egg

Jul 13, 2010
    Midwest
    The vet said that it could be just an eye infection and gave her eye drop antibiotics, she's also on them internally. It's funny how vets can be like pediatricians.."It's a non-specific rash.." "It might be an eye infection or some life-threatening disease..here's your bill for your left arm and leg"
    I'm feeding her by hand, it seems the only way she can find her food and trying to syringe feed her water is an absolute blast! But, I'll do what I've got to cause I love her..hopefully her eye site gets better.
    Thanks for asking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by