Sudden daze, slower moving and not making traditional chirping sounds

Gabtods

Chirping
May 16, 2020
PNW
Our chicks at 8weeka old and all seemed healthy and active at lunch today when I went in and fed them some kale. Tonight I noticed our buff Orpington seemed totally out of it. Like she’s in a complete daze, and is slow moving. She didn’t want any greens when I brought them this evening ( usually she loves them) - she just sort of walked around slowly while they others devoured the greens . She’s been laying on the ground while the others are up on the roost, and when you pick her up she makes a quiet cooing, but far from the frantic chirping she usually given when picked up. She did eat a couple some meal worms when givena little while ago, but far from her usual self.
Haven’t seen her poop, but didn’t see any alarming poops in the coop or run when I cleaned it out today. I clean both out about every other day.

I did toss some lawn clippings from mowing in the coop today but I do that often.

Any help of advice would be appreciated!!! Do I need to call a vet? Or can I get something over the counter to try? I want to do whatever they need but I also don’t want to spend a fortune testing for something that may pass (or maybe that’s being grossly optimistic)...

she’s in a complete daze, and is slow moving. She didn’t want any greens when I brought them this evening ( usually she loves them) - she just sort of walked around slowly while they others devoured the greens . She’s been laying on the ground while the others are up on the roost, and when you pick her up she makes a quiet cooing
Haven’t seen her poop
Do your chicks have a source of grit available?

I would get some photos of her poop and of her - post them.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If the crop is still full or has food in it, then start treating for a crop issue. Read the article linked below - we'll help you with it.

A crop issue is the first thing that comes to mind. It could be something else like Coccidiosis, but the mention of grass clippings and kale, I would check the crop first.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom