Sudden death 1 chick of 8

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcatcher, Jul 19, 2018.

1. You should have ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes this happens sometimes.

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. eggcatcher

eggcatcher Chirping

Mar 21, 2010
    I have 8 chicks that hatched 5 days ago. I found one dead this morning. No obvious trauma. Size, fluffiness etc. like the others. The other 7 are chirping and interacting with mom food and water as expected. I'm assuming the chick got smothered or there was something wrong with it when hatched and it took 5 days to catch up to it. Momma seemed rather distressed and had the other chicks away from the dead one that was lying in the nest. That's what makes me think it got smothered. The mother immediately calmed down and no longer seemed distressed and went back to the other chicks when I removed the dead one. I assume this isn't something to be alarmed about just one of those things that can happen but I wanted to touch base and see if there is something I might be doing wrong.

2. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    My Coop
    If no one else seems ill I would say it's a safe assumption that it was smothered. I would still keep an eye on the others for a bit but I bet they'll be fine.

SunHwaKwon likes this.
  3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    I think your suspicions are right. That is about the right age for many congenital issues to take their toll, and it's also very possible the chick was smothered. I wouldn't fret over it too much.

igorsMistress likes this.
  4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Day 5 is the day a new hatched chick would die if it had a digestive issue. (open navel at hatching, or an assisted egg chick) They used up all their yolk sac absorbed from hatching. But smothering is also a good possibility. Sorry for your loss, enjoy the other healthy babies.

I had a chick smother at an older than that age, the chicks liked to sit in their feed dish, which was fine (sorta) but as they got bigger they would all still try and squeeze in the dish, they were warm enough, light on them, but it was their habit to sleep in the dish. I switched it out after that happened. but it does happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: