Sudden Death - Cinnamon Queen

Kalpatr

Hatching
May 25, 2020
Hello Backyard Chicken Community:

To preface, I have been raising 3 backyard chickens for 2 years (cinnamon queen, Plymouth bard rock, Rhode island Red).

My wife and I live in southwestern Pennsylvania and have loved the addition of chickens to our homestead.

I regret to say that my first post will be due to losing our Cinnamon Queen who is only 2 years old. Yesterday we came home from being away for 2 days and when I checked our chickens they seemed happy and healthy as they were when we left them. Just this afternoon when I checked on our girls our Cinnamon Queen was dead in the coop near their run door.

This is the first chicken that we lost, and I would be lying if I said they didn't become apart of the family.

I checked the Cinnamon Queen for predator attacks in which there wasn't any. I felt her stomach and didnt feel any eggs, and finally I checked her beak and it didn't look like anything was in lodged in her windpipe.

I am posting to get some recommendations on what to look for to determine the cause, and finally tips to protect our other two girls.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Kalpatr

Hello Backyard Chicken Community:

To preface, I have been raising 3 backyard chickens for 2 years (cinnamon queen, Plymouth bard rock, Rhode island Red).

My wife and I live in southwestern Pennsylvania and have loved the addition of chickens to our homestead.

I regret to say that my first post will be due to losing our Cinnamon Queen who is only 2 years old. Yesterday we came home from being away for 2 days and when I checked our chickens they seemed happy and healthy as they were when we left them. Just this afternoon when I checked on our girls our Cinnamon Queen was dead in the coop near their run door.

This is the first chicken that we lost, and I would be lying if I said they didn't become apart of the family.

I checked the Cinnamon Queen for predator attacks in which there wasn't any. I felt her stomach and didnt feel any eggs, and finally I checked her beak and it didn't look like anything was in lodged in her windpipe.

I am posting to get some recommendations on what to look for to determine the cause, and finally tips to protect our other two girls.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Kalpatr
Cinnamon Queens are usually just a form of RSLs, who usually succumb to reproductive issues at about 2-4 years old. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom