Sudden death - does anyone know what this might be?

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Coastal Southern California
Noticed a few days ago that our four-year-old Ameraucana seemed a bit listless, possibly molting - awfully early in the summer for that, I thought. Then yesterday I saw that she had runny poop - white and green. I cleaned her up and started researching. Thought maybe vent gleet? Was going to apply anti fungal this afternoon but as we approached her to pick her up she started making croaking sounds and sneezing.

We decided to separate her from the flock at that point. My husband picked her up and she started retching - clear fluid - and then went into a kind of convulsion as he set her down into a cage. She was dead within a few seconds.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what happened?
Should I worry about something contagious?
My flock was six, now five hens, have never had worms or any respiratory issues with any of them. The others appear robust.

Would greatly appreciate any input. TIA.

It sounds like she was very weak and sick, and the actions right before death probably were “common throes of death.” When I have witnessed the death of a chicken, they can lose their crop contents, twist their neck, and may even appear to have a seizure. The only way to know for sure what was wrong is to get a necropsy by the state vet. Keep the body cold in a cooler, and contact your state vet in the morning. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom