Sudden death from pasty butt

Jimin

Songster
Feb 8, 2019
I recently got 10 polish baby chicks. This morning I found my favorite chick had passed away. She had poop sealing her vent so I’m guessing she passed away from pasty butt on top of other underlying factors. Yesterday afternoon and night, I admit she did seem a bit off. She kept falling asleep while standing up, couldn’t keep her eyes open, and tried to snuggle into the warmth as much as possible. I heard that polish chicks were quite sensitive so I would check on them at least 10 times a day. I checked her vent meticulously but saw that she didn’t have any pasty butt during then and was eating and drinking just fine. She was the runt of the litter and was much smaller compared to the rest of her sisters. I’m just so sad that I couldn’t have done more to help her. The only thing I was confused by was why she had died so suddenly. Could this have been a genetic thing or maybe she was born too early?

I'm not an expert or anything, but in my opinion, sometimes they just fail to thrive. I've had a few hatch out smaller than others for no apparent reason and then fail to grow properly even if they eat and drink and act pretty normal. I recently had a silkie chick who was doing just fine, but didn't ever grow as well as the others. He started becoming a bit lethargic, but didn't have pasty butt. I pepped him up a bit with electrolytes and egg yolk to try and save him and he did become more energetic but died about an hour later, unfortunately. I think sometimes they just aren't built right, just like other animals, and even humans, and can't make it.

It's possible it was just that chick - if they haven't been vaccinated for coccidiosis (most commercially purchased chicks have been vaccinated for Mareks - but generally, unless you bought them from a hatchery and asked for it- they're not vaccinated for coccidiosis) - you can add Corid to their water just in case that's the issue. If they're on medicated feed, they're getting a low dose of the same active ingredient. Coccidiosis can take them down pretty fast- so treating them quickly is important. Here's more info:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

I'm not an expert or anything, but in my opinion, sometimes they just fail to thrive. I've had a few hatch out smaller than others for no apparent reason and then fail to grow properly even if they eat and drink and act pretty normal. I recently had a silkie chick who was doing just fine, but didn't ever grow as well as the others. He started becoming a bit lethargic, but didn't have pasty butt. I pepped him up a bit with electrolytes and egg yolk to try and save him and he did become more energetic but died about an hour later, unfortunately. I think sometimes they just aren't built right, just like other animals, and even humans, and can't make it.
I’m so sorry for your loss and I definitely agree sometimes it really comes down to the failure to thrive. The worst part is when you give them your all and they still can’t bounce back. You read forums, study articles upon articles, and do everything in your power to help them survive but sometimes it’s just not meant to be.

My heart was broken when I found mine. She’s the first one that’s ever passed away as a baby for me. I cried over her box while doing a small prayer. It just breaks my heart to see such a young one go. I asked my sister in law who’s a vet tech and she said that it was most likely sudden infant death. It’s sad and cruel but unfortunately a part of life.

It's possible it was just that chick - if they haven't been vaccinated for coccidiosis (most commercially purchased chicks have been vaccinated for Mareks - but generally, unless you bought them from a hatchery and asked for it- they're not vaccinated for coccidiosis) - you can add Corid to their water just in case that's the issue. If they're on medicated feed, they're getting a low dose of the same active ingredient. Coccidiosis can take them down pretty fast- so treating them quickly is important. Here's more info:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/
Thank you! I was actually planning on ordering corid for my older girls after reading a separate article haha.

My baby chicks are not vaccinated. The hatchery I got them from didn’t have the option ;( But luckily they are in medicated feed. I didn’t know you could give babies corid, but I will definitely look into it!

If they are on medicated feed, do not treat them with corid.

Some chicks just die and you can't prevent it. Say goodbye and focus on the ones you have left. It's the only way. I feel your pain because I've had that experience too.

If they are on medicated feed, do not treat them with corid.

Some chicks just die and you can't prevent it. Say goodbye and focus on the ones you have left. It's the only way. I feel your pain because I've had that experience too.

You can give chicks on medicated feed Corid. The medicated feed has a very low, meant to be preventative dose of the active ingredient. The liquid or powder version simply has a higher concentration to treat an active outbreak.

You wouldn't give Corid to chicks that have had a coccidiosis VACCINE at hatch because they will cancel each other out.

You can give chicks on medicated feed Corid. The medicated feed has a very low, meant to be preventative dose of the active ingredient. The liquid or powder version simply has a higher concentration to treat an active outbreak.

You wouldn't give Corid to chicks that have had a coccidiosis VACCINE at hatch because they will cancel each other out.
In the UK, it might be different. Our medicated feed is not actually medicated with drugs, it just has an ingredient (an ionophore coccidiostat) which is classed as a food additive that makes the gut hostile to coccidia.

Back
Top Bottom