Sudden death [graphic pics]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SteveH, May 18, 2011.

1. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    My flock was fine yesterday. Today, when I went out to feed and gather eggs, about 2/3 were dead. This was 4 pens, including one pen 100 yds from the others, and a growing cage, with some chicks hatched last Easter, that had never had contact with the others. I threw 3 in a bag and set off for a state lab about 30 miles from here; by the time I got back, some that were healthy when I left were dead upon my return. I opened a fresh bag of feed yesterday, straight from the store; it looked fine. The chicks were on a different feed, though might possibly have had a couple of crumbles from the can I scoop with. The only birds not affected are some chicks, still in a brooder, that are indoors. I'm guessing everything outside will be dead by the end of the day.

Any ideas?

The first bunch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That really stinks! Please let us know the results of the lab testing. Im very curious to know what happened to them...

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Wow, so sorry!! Keep us posted on what happened

4. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am very sorry that you have lost so many in your flock. i am also veryyy curious to find out what pathology can find.. please do get back to this thread when you get the results... just a thought- any applications of any chemicals to the fields recently? could it be a toxic plant or weed throughout your field?

please keep us posted

5. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    Sure looks like it could be the new bag of feed or if they are free roaming maybe they got into some poison plants - anything around the yard that they could have gotten into that would poison them?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you did not already, take the new feed bag and check it for any signs of mold. Even if you do not see any, take a sample to the same lab that is testing your birds and have them check it out. For that meany deaths without previous symptoms, I would definitely suspect some sort of poison.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    so sorry you had this happen [​IMG]

8. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Wow, that's terrible. I think poisoning of some kind too. So many of them. I hope you find out soon. [​IMG]

9. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Sorry about the deaths, please keep us posted on the results.

10. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

So Sorry for the loss of you flock. I am also curious to know what the cause is.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by